7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2009 7:52 PM by FluffyBear

ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL

laneystewart

Title

ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL

Your post

I am pretty new to the whole FM server piece..... 

We are running Filemaker server 10 advanced on a Windows 2008 virtual server.  We have created a System DSN and sucessfully connected to the MySQL server thru the server.  I have a hosted database that is on that server that I connect to and am trying to set up the ODBC connection to the MySQL database.  I know that there was an error when configuring the System DSN to the MySQL database and it required us to have the IP address of the server to create an appropriate account and this was taken care of as we could sucessfully connect.  

Now when I try to set up the ODBC connection with the hosted database I can not get it to allow me to sign into the MySQL database, even though the settings on the External Data source say to use a specific password and user account.  I wrote to the forum a short time ago and asked if when trying to connect to a datasource if it takes the FM client computer's IP address??? I believe this might be the case.  

My IT folks are asking me why FM would not use the Server IP address as the database is hosted there, we are using it off the hosted location and we are using that system DSN for the connection.  They are asking for me to give an archatecture of how this all works together and as I am pretty new to the whole server piece, I can not do so.  Can anyone give me a little help????  

They do not want to open the MySQL server to a subnet of users to allow access since there are over 100 databases at this location but I need the data from just this one database.  If someone could help explain what really happens and if I will be using the Server IP address or the individual client address, this would be EVER so helpful!!!  Thanks in advance!

Elayne 

• 1. Re: ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL
          MikeyG79

It's not the FMS machine that needs access to the MySQL server, it's the client machines running FM.

We have a FMS server, and a MySQL server. I run FM on my workstation, and my workstation needs the DSN entries and access to the MySQL server to use ODBC against it. 

• 2. Re: ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL
            laneystewart
               I believe with EES and Filemaker 10 this is not the case.  The DSN should only need to be on the hosted location, says the documentation.
            • 4. Re: ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL
              mrvodka

You only have to setup the System DSN on the server box if using FileMaker Server for ESS. However, I am having a hard time following your post completely.

• 5. Re: ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL
                laneystewart

ok, here goes again.  I am using Filemaker server advanced 10 and have a system DSN set up for my server to the MySQL database.  In that DSN it includes the sign in info for the MySQL database.  We have connected sucessfully to the mySQL database when testing the DSN.

Now I go into Filemaker Pro Advanced on my machine and open a server hosted database and try to set up the ODBC connection to the MySQL database.  I get a sign-in box and it does not allow me to connect to the MySQL database. 

The security set up thru our IT department uses IP address as well as account name and password to secure the MySQL database location.  

I need to know if I am correct in my thinking that when trying to use my Filemaker Pro Advanced to set up the ODBC connection it is passing MY IP address instead of the server IP address even though I am using that DSN to connect???   If this is the case I will need to explain to our IT department why this is happening and what IP addresses I will need to have connections to the MySQL location.  This can become quite a problem as I have about 40 to 50 users in several locations and several wireless users that need this access.  

I am looking to see if anyone has encountered this type of problem and if they have an architecture plan that I may be able to use to justify all of this.  

Does that help??? 

• 6. Re: ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL
                  mrvodka

laneystewart wrote:

The security set up thru our IT department uses IP address as well as account name and password to secure the MySQL database location.  

I think that this may be the issue here. If you connect with a particular user account, you should only have to set it up on the server. 

How exactly is the IP address being used in conjunction with the account name/ and or password?

• 7. Re: ODBC connection on FM server 10 Advanced and MySQL
                    FluffyBear

FMPA is not using your IP, it is using the server's IP address.  When you open the data sources management in FMPA you should be able to see your DSN name configured on the server.  From here, simply follow the FMPA data source configuration wizzard dohickey thinger and enter in the appropriate database UID & PWD and it should connect you to the database.

We use the exact same configuration, only on OSX Server instead of windows, but its the exact same process.

Only FMS fetch data,  all clients then retrieve data from FMS.  During the day I see dozens of sleep state connection to our mySQL database from the ip of the OSX Server that has the DSN ODBC source configured.

Including UID & PWD in the DSN is horrid,  leave that blank and use the data source setup screen in FM to enter the UID & PWD.  Each DSN must also specify the ODBC Database name that FM will be using, otherwise if you just create a DSN but leave the DB Name field blank in the DSN then FM will not be happy...