AnsweredAssumed Answered

ODBC Import from MS Access to FileMaker Server DB

Question asked by smc on Jan 14, 2009
Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 by smc

Title

ODBC Import from MS Access to FileMaker Server DB

Your post

Long time MS Access user, short time FileMaker user.  Doing my best to figure it out.  But I've hit a wall.  I have an MS Access database that contains data that the user needs to 'push' to a FileMaker Server database.  Here is what I've done so far...

1. I've configured and ODBC connection (DataDirect 32-BIT SequeLink 5.5).

2. I've created an ODBC link within the MS Access DB that points to a table in my FileMaker Server DB.

3. I've created a query that identifies the MS Access records that need to be 'pushed' into my FileMaker Server DB.

4. I tested the query and it works fine as a 'Select' query (shows the appropriate records to be added).

5. I changed the query to an 'Append' query (to push it into FileMaker) and it auto detected the appropriate field names.  Everything looks just great.

6. When I try to actually 'run' the query, it fales with the following 3-line message:

ODBC--insert on a linked table 'composition_FileMaker' failed.

[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][ODBC Socket][DataDirect][ODBC FileMaker Driver][FileMaker]Cannot modify field(201)(#-511)

[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][ODBC Socket][DataDirect][ODBC FileMaker Driver][FileMaker]QueryFailed (#-200)

I'm at a loss.  If I take this data and export it to a file, I can then manually import that file via FileMaker.  So, why is it that I cannot 'append' directly via the ODBC???

As I said, I'm not a FileMaker expert.  I'm more like a FileMaker 'Sophmore', which literally translates to 'smart fool' (I know just enough to be dangerous!).  I appreciate having a place where I can learn from those who have "Been there.  Done that.".

SMC

Outcomes