ODBC Import from MS Access to FileMaker Server DB
Long time MS Access user, short time FileMaker user. Doing my best to figure it out. But I've hit a wall. I have an MS Access database that contains data that the user needs to 'push' to a FileMaker Server database. Here is what I've done so far...
1. I've configured and ODBC connection (DataDirect 32-BIT SequeLink 5.5).
2. I've created an ODBC link within the MS Access DB that points to a table in my FileMaker Server DB.
3. I've created a query that identifies the MS Access records that need to be 'pushed' into my FileMaker Server DB.
4. I tested the query and it works fine as a 'Select' query (shows the appropriate records to be added).
5. I changed the query to an 'Append' query (to push it into FileMaker) and it auto detected the appropriate field names. Everything looks just great.
6. When I try to actually 'run' the query, it fales with the following 3-line message:
ODBC--insert on a linked table 'composition_FileMaker' failed.
[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][ODBC Socket][DataDirect][ODBC FileMaker Driver][FileMaker]Cannot modify field(201)(#-511)
[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][ODBC Socket][DataDirect][ODBC FileMaker Driver][FileMaker]QueryFailed (#-200)
I'm at a loss. If I take this data and export it to a file, I can then manually import that file via FileMaker. So, why is it that I cannot 'append' directly via the ODBC???
As I said, I'm not a FileMaker expert. I'm more like a FileMaker 'Sophmore', which literally translates to 'smart fool' (I know just enough to be dangerous!). I appreciate having a place where I can learn from those who have "Been there. Done that.".