5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 11:59 AM by TSDuck

ODBC Server Advanced 11- Slow Mail Merges

FrankCanning

Title

ODBC Server Advanced 11- Slow Mail Merges

Your post

I'm using Server Advanced (11) and have configured ODBC for mail merges with Microsoft Word to a Windows Vista PC.  However, the performance when initially connecting is very slow.

I did find this:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6120/~/slow-performance-when-importing-large-filemaker-databases-into-microsoft-office

but it doesn't seem to apply to 11x.  Anybody have any ideas?

• 1. Re: ODBC Server Advanced 11- Slow Mail Merges

Frank Canning:

Thanks for posting!

What version of Microsoft Word are you using? To confirm, it's only the initial connection that's slow, correct? Could you give a rough estimate on how long this takes?

Are you able to reproduce this behavior in Microsoft Excel?

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: ODBC Server Advanced 11- Slow Mail Merges
            FrankCanning

Word 2003.  Correct, it is the initial connection, about 1 minute.  (it seems especially slow compared to the Access merge we used to use)

Excel seems much quicker - less than 20 seconds.

• 3. Re: ODBC Server Advanced 11- Slow Mail Merges

Frank Canning:

Can you try this connection with a brand new database? Are you able to reproduce this issue on multiple machines?

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: ODBC Server Advanced 11- Slow Mail Merges
                FrankCanning

I'm still having the issue, and it seems to have gotten worse.

The slowness only occurs in the tables with 4000+ records in my database.  It's fine for the smaller tables.  Any ideas?

• 5. Re: ODBC Server Advanced 11- Slow Mail Merges
                  TSDuck

Frank Canning:

Since smaller tables are not having an issue, it could indicate a problem with the database. 

Were you able to test the ODBC connection with a new database file?  If so, did the new file have any issues.

What is the file size on your database?  How many records total are in the entire database file?

Running a compacted copy on the database may help with this issue.  Pull your database off the server onto a machine with FileMaker Pro.  In FileMaker Pro, open the database and under the file menu select “Save a copy as.”  In the copy dialog, select compacted copy (smaller) from the Save a drop down menu.  Click save to finish making a compacted copy of your file.  Upload the compacted copy to your server and test if the ODBC connection gets any faster.  Let me know the results of this test.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.