2 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 4:46 AM by wkparkjoe

ODBC with FMSA 10 and FMA 11

wkparkjoe

Title

ODBC with FMSA 10 and FMA 11

Your post

I have a Windows 2008 x64 server running FMSA 10. My workstation machine is Windows 7 x64 Pro with FMA 11. I install the ODBC driver from the FMA 11 CD on my workstation and then try to setup a DSN to the FMSA 10. When I go to access the DSN using MS Excel 2010 or Crystal Reports, I am unable to get any data and the ODBC driver seems to freeze (just sits there with the spinning circle cursor). I'm accessing the FMSA 10 on the same LAN (same switch) as the client.

My only research from the ODBC/JDBC guide for FMA 11 is that there was a blurb that the xDBC driver for 11 is not backward compatible. Is this the case? And if it is what is a suggested solution for accessing my data on the FMSA 10 machine with my workstation using ODBC?

• 1. Re: ODBC with FMSA 10 and FMA 11

wkparkjoe:

Thanks for posting!

That's correct, in order to connect to a FM 10 data source, you'll need to setup your DSN using the FM 10 ODBC driver. This should be available in the installation files for FileMaker Server 10 Advanced.

In addition to the above, please make sure that you're setting up the DSN using the 32-bit version of the ODBC Administrator as the 64-bit version will not work with FileMaker's 32-bit drivers. You can find the 32-bit version of the ODBC Administrator in the following folder:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

TSBear
          FileMaker, inc. 

• 2. Re: ODBC with FMSA 10 and FMA 11
            wkparkjoe

Hi TSBear,

Thank you again for your answer and confirmation. I think it's very important to note where the 32-bit version of the ODBC driver in Windows Vista/7 is located. I've had a very difficult time in the past finding answers on google to said question.