2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 8:52 AM by AnthonyS

ODBC without Server Advanced

AnthonyS

Title

ODBC without Server Advanced

Your post

Currently we use FMP12 to pull data from our PostgreSQL database using the ODBC connector. We are considering switching to FileMaker Server so that we can better manange our backups. FileMaker's website is not very clear weather the Server version of FileMaker will be able to connect to a database using ODBC. In the comparrison between Server and Server Advanced, under ODBC/JDBC Connectivity, it seems to hint that the limitaion is with connecting to a FileMaker database via ODBC.

Share data with other applications via server-based ODBC/JDBC support. ODBC/JDBC clients can submit SQL queries to FileMaker databases.

I would hope that FileMaker Server would have the same functionality as FMP12; would be able to connect to our PostgreSQL database via ODBC. Or is this feature actually removed from FileMaker Server, much like Instant Web Publishing? Would I be required to spend an exta $2000 for FileMaker Server Advanced in order to have the same ODBC functinality as FileMaker Pro 12? Improving our backup process might not be worth the extra bucks :(

Thanks,

Antho

• 1. Re: ODBC without Server Advanced
          AnthonyS

Can I connect to a PostgreSQL database using an ODBC connector from FileMaker Server, or do I need to purchase FileMaker Server Advanced for this task? Anybody?

-Antho

• 2. Re: ODBC without Server Advanced
            AnthonyS

We purchased FileMaker Server (not Advanced), and we were indeed able to connect from FileMaker Server to our PostgreSQL database using the ODBC connector. So to be clear, FileMaker Server (not Advanced) can connect to a remote database using ODBC, but clients cannot connect to the FileMaker Server databases using ODBC.

-Antho