2 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 2:06 PM by philmodjunk

Odd behavior with container fields on Filemaker Server

DocHollywood

Title

Odd behavior with container fields on Filemaker Server

Your post

Hi, 

The following setup is driving me nuts: 

I have a MAC OS X Snow Leopard Server FM 11 Server Advanced running with a database on it. 

I have four or five clients connecting to this database from workstations running FM Pro 11 Advanced on Mac OSx. 

Here's where my problem comes in:

I have container fields that I am filling with PDF documents. The trouble is, these documents will only show on the 

very same workstation that these files were uploaded from. All other workstations will only get some error displayed in the container field: 

" The file cannot be found: XXXX.PDF".

Now, it get's worse: If I upload a PDF file from the iphone, using Filemaker Go, connecting to the very same Database server - 

the file will show, on all the workstations!!!

So here are my questions:

1) I know that Filemaker can either store a reference to a file as a path or the actual file in the database, but I can't find where to select which way to go. By now, I think it can't be on the server since the iPhone application (Filemaker Go) and our Workstations Filemaker 11 Pro Advanced behave differently. So where on earth do I select to store the file on the server (as opposed to just a reference?)

2) I am having a similar problem with a global value (an image) stored in a container. The global value keeps disappearing every time a client re-connects to the database on the server. Any thoughts on this? 

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is really starting to become a lot of trouble....

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Odd behavior with container fields on Filemaker Server

Robert Zrim:

Thanks for posting!

When you right-click on a container field and opt to insert a picture, the dialog that allows you to select a file should have a small checbox in the lower left hand corner that says "Store only a reference to the file". You may want to make sure that this option is not enabled when you select your image.

Global fields behave a little differently on hosted files. Specifically, the value of the global field is set by the host. A client can change it but the change will only last for that clients session and no other clients will see the change. The solution to this it to either have the global value set by a start up script or set it in a copy of FileMaker Pro locally and then upload it to the server. For more information on global fields, please see knowledge base answers #3604 and #5895:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3604

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5895

TSBear
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Odd behavior with container fields on Filemaker Server
            philmodjunk

The solution to this it to either have the global value set by a start up script or set it in a copy of FileMaker Pro locally and then upload it to the server.

I've discovered a third fix that I use whenever I upload a file to the server and then discover that I didn't first load the desired default value into a global field:

Write a script that assigns the correct value to the global fields. Create a schedule on the server to run this script, but leave it disabled so that it doesn't run automatically. When I need to set the globals, I use the server console to run the script. Since scheduled scripts run from a "host" perspective, the changes made to the global field are retained.