4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 11:28 AM by TSGal

One user - concurrent IWP sessions

eswanborg

Title

One user - concurrent IWP sessions

Your post

We have a solution that uses one interface file and several hidden data files.  Until recently this included the interface and four backend files, we just added a fifth.  When a user logs in through IWP - previously all files would be opened in a single IWP session (when looking at the Clients list in FMSA Admin console).  For some reason the newest (fifth) file generates its own IWP session - which then shows each user with two, concurrent IWP sessions each.  Client-based users all authenticate in a single session. 

Any ideas what I can do to get this latest file to authenticate IWP users in the same session that the interface generates?  We have a pretty large staff and I'm concerned that with double IWP sessions being generated, we'll run out of available IWP sessions.

Thanks

• 1. Re: One user - concurrent IWP sessions
          TSGal

eswanborg:

Thank you for your post.

Neither myself nor another Support Technician has seen this.  We tried setting up a multi-file solution with authentication, but all of the Instant Web Publishing users only generate one session.

Can you provide more detail about your multi-file solution?  For example, does a script in one file execute a script in another file that calls a script back in the original file?  I'm just trying to find a way to replicate this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: One user - concurrent IWP sessions
            eswanborg

I will keep an eye on it today, but it appears that the problem has gone away now.  It was very clearly happening last week and causing problems with a script.  I wonder if the weekly restart of the server helped rectify the situation.  

As I mentioned it's a multi-file solution that has worked correctly for years and only started with this new behavior recently.  

Thank you for the reply and I will keep you posted with any updates.

eric

• 3. Re: One user - concurrent IWP sessions
              eswanborg

Spoke too soon.  We are still getting two separate sessions when a user logs into the system using IWP.  I thought perhaps it was a Privilege set issue so I created a new PS, but that has not changed anything.  The issue appears during the main opening script.

Users log in to the main Interface file.  First step is to go to a layout based on the suspect FMP file and get the user's info (their ID, account name, email address, etc.).  So it does a find based on their account name and gets that info.  Then it will take them to another layout - now the fields are based in a third file - and do a Find for any open tasks assigned to them.  When it gets to this stage in the process the additional file is seen in Admin Console, but added to the original IWP session. 

The user can also navigate to other layouts that are based on the other linked files.  We continue to find that only the file that contains the user info is generating the separate session in IWP - the other 4 linked files all show up under the same session together.

I have screen shots of the Admin Console showing how the users are appearing in different simultaneous sessions, if that helps.

Thanks

[edited for clarity - I hope]

• 4. Re: One user - concurrent IWP sessions
                TSGal

eswanborg:

Thanks for the additional information.

Yes, I would like to see the screen shots, as well as a screen shot of the file relationships.  It may also help to show the scripts being accessed in case there is situation where one file calls another script which calls a script in the original file.  Just thinking aloud for possible reasons why this is happening, even though I have never encountered it.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send those screen shots.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.