1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 1:17 PM by philmodjunk

Open File Remotely

ccarr

Title

Open File Remotely

Your post

We have 5 users of File Maker Pro 11 with two databases on a shared network.  The first person to open it for the day hosts the database and the others use it remotely.  Two of our users have Mac Notebooks and the other 3 PCs.  The PC users have very little difficulty accessing the database remotely, but the Mac users have constant problems with accessing when not in the office.  It was suggested by our tech support to go to FileMaker server.  Today our tech department purchased 12 licenses for us.  Two of us downloaded a license  - one a Mac user and one a PC.  We still need to do hosting and accessing remotely.  Is this true if you have server licenses?  Do we need to more the databases from the network drive to the server?  I am sure these questions sound naive, but it doesn't appear from first glance that we have solved our problem.  What options should we be using on the sharing of the database.  Any direction you can give me would be helpful.

• 1. Re: Open File Remotely
          philmodjunk

Hosting the files from Server would be much safer for you. It sounds like you currently have the file on a shared drive/directory where the first user opens it directly and then subsequent users use Open Remote to access the database. This risks corruption of your database file that will be avoided if it is always opened first on the same machine as where the drive is installed and then all other users use open remote.

I don't see, off hand, how this change will affect the ease with which users can access the file from an off site location. Those issues could, in fact, be due to internet connection issues specific to their off site locations and not the hosting method you choose to use.

Since you have been using a shared location, I'd run a recover on the file to see if it reports any problems. Sometimes file damage will be tolerated by one platform and not another, so this is a possible explanation as to why it is just the Mac users that are having trouble.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.