4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 2:45 PM by btiltonjr

Open Remote File Not Working

btiltonjr

Title

Open Remote File Not Working

Your post

Not sure what happened but I cant get any of my database files to show in open remote on my master computer, but have no problem with another computer. What is even wierder is that when I use Dreamweaver for our web pages, it tells me that it can see the database. I reinstalled FMP9v03 and still does not work. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on here?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Open Remote File Not Working
          rmanook

Hi btiltonjr,

Thanks for posting!

If you are hosting via FileMaker Server:

Launch the Admin Console and go to Databases.  Do your databases show the 'Normal' status?  Also, do the databases you are trying to access have blue check marks in the Pro column?  If not, open the database locally and go to File > Accounts and Privileges > Privilege Set.  In the Extended Privilege section, make sure that Access via FileMaker Network is checked.

If you are hosting via FileMaker Pro:

Launch the database and go to File > Sharing > FileMaker Network Sharing.  Highlight the 'problem' databases and check the 'All Users' radio button. 

General: 

In the Open Remote window, can you see the server IP address?  Is port 5003 open on all machines?  Can you access a hosted database if you type in the network path in the Open Remote Window?

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Open Remote File Not Working
            btiltonjr

Thanks for the response ts_turtle

I am hosting with FMP 9v3 server advanced. All blue check marks are visable. As I mentioned, I can access the server from another computer, just not the one with Dreamwever on it. When I select open remote the open remote window comes up and it shows the host computer, both the Mac address and IP address are visiable - but not the databases. While on the other computer it shows up  and works fine. What ever the issue is, it is contained to the one computer. 

Thanks

Bill

• 3. Re: Open Remote File Not Working
              rmanook

btiltonjr:

Is the 'problem' client machine a Mac or a Windows machine?

Mac:  try a Utilities > Network Utility > Port Scan for port 5003.

Win: Command Prompt > telnet <ipaddress> 5003

Also, is it possible to disable Dreamweaver to factor it out as an issue? 

Prior to doing so, I did want to verify: Did the 'problem' client machine just get FileMaker Pro 9v3 installed?  If so, are you using SSL with FileMaker Server 9?  We've come across an issue where FileMaker Pro 9 applications could not see database files if the FileMaker Pro 9 application was installed post-September 22, 2008 and SSL was enabled.

Here is a link from our Knowledge Base with more information (and download links for the patch fixes): http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6995&p_created=1222820300&p_sid=_ujhV-hj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjUsMjUmcF9wcm9kcz0gJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wc19hbnNfdXBkYXRlZD0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1TU0w*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Alternatively, you can access the article by clicking on Support > Knowledge Base and searching for article 6995.

Keep me posted.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Open Remote File Not Working
                btiltonjr

tsturtle

All my machines are Macs - By closing Dreamweaver, it becomes disabled so I did that. The SSL is was on, I turned it off. Made no differance. Turned it back on again. Post scan came up with "Open TCP Port: 5003 fmpro-internal". I had Filemaker Pro 9v3 installed previously and was working fine. Came in this morning and could not get it to work. Not sure what happened. 

Well, after trying the above I downloaded the 9.0.3 SSL Updater and guess what? It worked! 

Thanks tsturtle

Bill