6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 11:46 PM by EltonHo

Open the database by Schedule Job

EltonHo

Title

Open the database by Schedule Job

Your post

Dear all,

Would like to know if we can schedule a job to open / close a FileMaker database hosted in FileMaker Server 11 adv.? How to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Elton

• 1. Re: Open the database by Schedule Job
          philmodjunk

Do you want to open and close this on the server? If so why? (maybe there's an alternative).

Do you want to open this on a workstation that will access the hosted database at a specific time? (This can be done.)

• 2. Re: Open the database by Schedule Job
            EltonHo

Hi,

Actually, my scenario is:

I need to run a FileMaker script regularly and hence I need to OPEN the database (mainly is to synchronize the data via odbc connection). But some users need to copy the database out so that they can send the database via email to other users' offline access.

I found that if the users copy the database while the database is in OPEN status, the copied file is required to have a repair action when open with FileMaker Pro. That is why I am thinking if I can schedule the database OPEN when I need to run the script and CLOSE it to enable users copy it properly... Any other good suggestion.

Thanks,

Elton

• 3. Re: Open the database by Schedule Job
              philmodjunk

With server, you can make regular scheduled backups. These backup files are closed. You can have your users copy one of these backup files--which can be made to a shared directory on the server to which they have access and they won't need to copy an open file.

• 4. Re: Open the database by Schedule Job
                EltonHo

Hi,

Good idea.

Btw, I would like to backup the database file to the non-default location. What folder permissions should I grant to FileMaker and to which service account? Pls. advise.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Elton

• 5. Re: Open the database by Schedule Job
                  philmodjunk

You can back up to any folder on your server. FileMaker Server will not permit backing the files up to an external location, unfortunately.

We solved that issue by creating a VBScript that copies the latest backup file to a shared directory on a different machine on the network. We use windows task scheduler to run the VBScript. FileMaker Server Schedules can run the VBScript, but its permissions will keep it from actually copying the files to the external location.

• 6. Re: Open the database by Schedule Job
                    EltonHo

Hi,

Actually, I am trying to back the files up to another location of the same FileMaker server (i.e. not using the default one). However, I found that script is aborted during the execution. I wonder that I did not grant appropriate permission rights to the folder / owner and I don't have any idea that the backup script is executed by who?

Thanks,

Elton