11 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 11:33 AM by NicolayFlaaten

OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?

lance123

Title

OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?

Your post

HI to All,

I recently got burned again on the last Java update, so I am being more cautious and am asking the question on OS X Server 10.6.7 update?  Is it ok to install..Any experiences yet?

I noticed there is many security fixes so I am keen to update.

I did notice that AFP volume paths had changed ...I had a lot of trouble with this last update to os x 10.6.  I found my volume paths in robot scripts all seemed to change.  I hope they will not change again.

Any experiences and advice here welcome Wink

Regards,

Lance

• 1. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
          FBEUIT

10.6.7 will not even take an install of FMS 11. The installer appears to run correctly, but the deployment falls over. The apache server keeps throwing 500 errors, and never displays the start page. Bottom line - it does not work. The same issue is reported here, so it doesn't appear unique: http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/77274-os-x-server-1067-update/

My best guess is the change in the Mac OSX packaged web server components screws with the patches FMS puts in place to run the admin console, so the admin console falls over.

NB. The actual DB server appears to run, and is visible in Remote Open dialogues in FM clients. But I'd recommend steering clear of 10.6.7 until FileMaker get their act together and release a patch.

• 2. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
            lance123

Hi FBEU IT,

Thanks for the heads up!!  Agree.  Hope there is an update covering this soon.  As I would like to fix security issues etc on my Production Server.

Regards,

Lance

• 3. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
              PointInSpace

Have you tried running this patch after installing 10.6.7 and FileMaker Server:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7937

- John

• 4. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
                FBEUIT

@JohnMay

Yes, first thing I tried. Has no/negligible impact on the 10.6.7 problem. That patch (as advertised) relates to Java 6 Update 24, which is separate to the OSX 10.6.7 update.

As per the Apple information:

"The 10.6.7 update is recommended for all servers currently running Snow Leopard Server. This update includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for:

- properly displaying videos in Wiki pages that have special characters in their URL

- reliability of availability of Wikis after rebooting 

- improved Wiki server cache verification

- reliability of Web Server restarts

- iChat Server now behaves correctly with .local domains

- reliability of capturing videos using Epiphan devices with Podcast Producer

- allowing correct display of 12 digit hardware serial number with Server Admin

- name queries in Web Calendar match against first name, last name and email attributes 

- improved setup of Podcast Producer service when bound to an Active Directory server

- preventing Podcast Capture from always storing passwords in keychain

- reliability of Web Podcast Capture

- stopping Podcast Producer recordings with remote cameras 

- reliability of connections between Podcast Producer server with remote cameras

- Podcast Producer workflows publishing to a wiki page with an Active Directory account

- synchronization of audio and video output from Podcast Producer workflows which include intro videos or titling or transitions

- use of "-" character in specifying DHCP Subnets with Server Admin

- improved Wiki Server connection latency 

- use of "/" character with Wiki Server mailing lists

- configuration of iChat Server when changing host names using changeip 

- preventing automatic changes to a ".local" domain in iChat Server configuration due to DNS unresponsiveness

- importing of iChat accounts with Managed Preferences

- preventing network homes being used after mobile accounts enabled

- corrections to the iCal Preference Manifest

- viewing of IPP print queues with Workgroup Manager

- reliability of External Accounts with FAT32 file systems

- reliability of applying Managed Preferences to Macs that have been idle

- allowing administrators to bypass Managed Preferences at login

- support for unique Software Update Server catalog URLs for each version of Mac OS X

- improper removal of older updates by Software Update Server

- using Server Assistant to setup remote servers

- reliability and logging of Mail Server

- reliability of Managed Preferences

- reliability of Web Server with PHP scripts

- CalDAV querying of email addresses with Active Directory and Open Directory servers

- stability and reliability accessing Wiki Server pages

- view movies on Wiki Server with Safari on iPad

- accessing publicly accessible Wikis when logged in to the Wiki Server

- listing blogs on Wiki Server 

- vacation mail notices that span across multiple days

- updates from Software Update Server viewable by clients

- stability and reliability to Software Update Server synchronization

- downloading of software updates by Software Update Server

- creating NetInstall images which include iLife updater packages

- address issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers

- improve reliability of VPN connections

- configuring accounts in Server Preferences when bound to an external directory service

- CalDAV handling of Unicode text and attachments

- stability and reliability of Podcast Capture remote camera recordings

- submitting content into Podcast Producer using mv and cp command-line tools

- preventing time drift when capturing dual-source video in Podcast Capture

- syncing Software Update catalogs behind unauthenticated proxy servers 

- upgrading and importing records from older Open Directory servers

- password expiration notifications for Mobile Account users

- using Server Admin to connect to servers in IPv6 environments

- creating NetRestore images from volumes with fragmented catalog files

- ordering of items in System Image Utility "Add Packages and Post-Install Scripts" action

- using Internet Explorer with web-based calendar, wiki, email rules and password reset

- adding and removing imported users in Server Preferences

- synchronizing Portable Home Directory content

- using iCal web interface within select time zones

- previewing and capturing dual-source video in Podcast Capture

- server-side filtering of incoming mail messages

- using chained digital certificates for mail services

- creating images with System Image Utility

- automating installation of NetRestore images

- preventing brute force password attacks

- using sudo command with authenticated Open Directory binding

- binding to Active Directory domains with invalid service records

- creation of mobile accounts for Active Directory users

- correcting a problem that would cause the Software Update cache to grow excessively 

- reliability of services using Grand Central Dispatch

- duplicate serial number alerts on servers with multiple network interfaces

- preventing wikis and blogs from becoming inaccessible after migration from Leopard Server

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4473.

For detailed information on security updates, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222."

As you can see - a lot of web related changes. The internal server error (http 500 error) being reported when I try to hit the start page would be consistent with a clash/incompatibility between one or more of those changes and FMS.

As an aside, we also have a Snow Leopard server running 10.6.5 and the patch you mention correctly fixed the problem created by installing the separate Java 6 Update 24 update on that box. I can't find any trace of a fix for the 10.6.7 problem.

• 5. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
                  JoeFrattura

I was using FileMaker Server 10. I had only two choices. Rebuild the server or upgrade to FileMaker Server 11.  I'm disappointed with Apple that there is no way of selecting an older Java setting in Snow Leopard Server. I went ahead and downloaded the FileMaker Server 11 trial and applied the patch mentioned above. Make sure your databases will work in 11 before you install.  Everything is working now, but I am now forced to buy the newer version.  Lesson learned.  

• 6. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
                    lance123

Hi To All,

I am hoping for at least a comment from Filemaker Tech Support on this?  Ie we are working on an update would be a great start.

The 10.6.7 has a number of security fixes and my company tries to make sure to apply those as soon as pracical.  We purchased the current version of FMSA (11) to try to make sure we could run current OS X with its expected security pathces.  I appreciate the latest admin console patch which was obviously pushed through quickly.  So qudos to FM on this front.

Regards,

Lance

• 7. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?

lance123:

Thanks for posting!

Sorry for the late response, I wanted to ensure I left ample time for issues to be reported before posting something. At this time, there does not appear to be any known issues specifically caused by 10.6.7.

Of course, you should always be cautious when installing system updates. If possible, try it in a test environment first. If not, make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get everything back up and running if you do run into an issue. 

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?

FBEU IT:

I have not seen a trend of the behavior you're seeing so I'm not sure it's caused by the 10.6.7 update (although, it's certainly possible). It would be a good idea to post your issue as a new thread so that we can troubleshoot this properly.

It's also worth noting that the user's issue in the forum post you linked to is caused by the Java 6 Update 24 update (which we've released a fix for), not 10.6.7.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
                          lance123

Hi TSBear,

Very much appreciate your post!  

My development machine is where I test these sort of changes, although I did not want to cause problems there either for no good reason.  I will now schedule an update on this machine and do some testing when I have a long weekend available.

If anyone else is finding any behaviour changes with 10.6.7 and php or file paths in network environments etc with this update please let me know, as I note apple say there are changes in these areas.

I will follow any further post of FBEU IT and hope to hear of resolution of the issues there too.

Regards,

Lance

• 10. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
                            FBEUIT

I've only got one box that is not in the main production loop, so I don't have time or equipment to pin this problem down or predictably repeat it.

Since TSBear reports that FM have not been inundated with problems, as we'd all expect if the problem were ubiquitious, I've blown away the whole server down to the level of a disk erase, and a reinstall has worked under those circumstances. All I can offer is that something in my web config ate the FMS installer - but I'm not sure what, since I've repeated all the steps afterwards with no problems.

For now, I'm going to accept that there's some instability in all this and press ahead with 10.6.7, but am uneasy about this quirkiness.

• 11. Re: OS X Server 10.6.7 Ok To Install?
                              NicolayFlaaten
                              I have now a OSX Server 10.6.7 with Filemaker 11 server, upgraded to 11.v3. I could not install filemaker server before I used the java downgrade. Then after a restart the install of filemaker server went ok. It seems to work very well. This is my testing server. My live server is on the standard OSX 10.6.3 with Filemaker 10 server with a WPE COMPONENT: POTENTIAL PROBLEM that I am unable to solve. But I will now soon give up the old server and go for my new server. I wonder if it is recommended to use OSX server with Filemaker server, and also run my domain on the same OSX server, since my webpage is driven by filemaker php. What do you think?