5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 2:52 PM by TSGal

Performance Issues Filemaker 10 Server

jkcollins

Title

Performance Issues Filemaker 10 Server

Your post

We have Filemaker 10 Server loaded on Windows Server 2008 64 bit version with a Quad processor and 8gigs of memory.  We access the data in 2 ways, locally from either XP or Vista machines running Filemaker Pro 10 or remotley using RDC.

We are experiencing fairly large performance issues when accessing the database both locally and remotely.  The problem seems to get worse as the day progresses, though at times it will completely disappear. For example while moving between views the change can be instant to taking more than 45 seconds.  At any given time there will be 5 local users and 1-2 remote users.

We have tested other data intensive programs on the server and do not see the performance issues.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Performance Issues Filemaker 10 Server
          philmodjunk

The problem seems to get worse as the day progresses, though at times it will completely disappear. For example while moving between views the change can be instant to taking more than 45 seconds.

Can you describe this in more detail? Are you switching from view as table to view as form or changing layouts?

Are there any scripts involved. (Remember that with FMP 10 you may have script triggers firing.)

Does the number of records in your found set make a difference?

Do you see any progress bars or hour glasses while you wait?

This will help people get a better idea as to the cause of your delays.

• 2. Re: Performance Issues Filemaker 10 Server
            jkcollins

For the most part theses are form views.  So for example we will search on a range of customer customer numbers and the nas you attempt to scroll through each you will long delays.  The delay is marked by an hour glass.  The number of records i nthe found script does not matter.  Last night I worked with a set of 98 records and it took over an hour to scroll through them to review some information.  this morning  I had a found set of 500 that i was through in about 5 minutes.

There are scripts running, but that does not seem to matter.  For example our order completion and invoicing process is script intensive.  When we are not experiencing perforamance slow downs those scripts operate quickly, however when the slow down takes place everything is effected.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Performance Issues Filemaker 10 Server
              philmodjunk

"Last night I worked with a set of 98 records and it took over an hour to scroll through them to review some information. "

What fields/types were present on your layout? If you have any summary or unstored calculations such as those that use aggregate functions such as sum(), count(), Average() etc. this could explain the delay. Since the number of records being referenced by these functions could be quite large, one set of records could display very rapidly while different set, that references large numbers of other records not present in the current found set, could take a much longer time.

There also could be problems with your network or how you've chosen to share out your files. There are some known issues with Windows Terminal Server.

Also some users have had to update their video drivers--I'd check this one out if I have good responses on some machines but not others.

• 4. Re: Performance Issues Filemaker 10 Server
                jonsynergy

I use Filemaker Pro 10 (XP, 8 MG RAM) and the program is incredibly slow

Here are some page refresh times for some of my pages dicated

Time to open program 1 min 57 sec

Sector 23 sec

Subsector 14 seconds

Reports 17 sec

Industries 24 sec

Sector 8 sec

Reports 29 sec

Program constantly breaking communication too

At these speeds I really struggle to work with the program

Any suggestions?

John

• 5. Re: Performance Issues Filemaker 10 Server
                  TSGal

jonsynergy:

Thank you for your post.

I run FileMaker Pro 10 on Windows XP (SP3) without any speed issues.  I know that doesn't help you, so let's try to determine if it is FileMaker Pro, your system, the database file, etc.

Create a new database file with two tables, a couple of fields in each table, and try switching between the two layouts.  Any delay?  It should be immediately.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro 10.  Try the same thing.  Any difference?

Run msconfig and stop all non-Microsoft services.  Launch FileMaker Pro 10 and try the same test.  Any difference?

Do you have access to another machine?  If so, install FileMaker Pro on that machine and see if there is any difference.

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.