1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 2:40 PM by RickWhitelaw

Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13

TimoYlikännö

Title

Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13

Your post

A new Filemaker Server 13 . . . I can't recommended it to no one. I bought new version couple of months ago and after that my server has been up and running only couple of hours. 

For most of us it is a big disappointment that FMS 13 needs dedicated server and cannot run machines where is OS X Server app installed. Of course, support documents tells you that it is possible but it isn't. 

Lack of support is also very big issue. There is no decent manuals or support documents available. FMS 13 wants to be fully automatic and easy but when problems occurs there is not much user can do to solve problems. 

Seriously guys, don't buy this stuff. It sucks.

• 1. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
          JohnDee

I have a thread on this pita os x server and fms13 port conflict that's been costing me a few needless days of extra work to debug. This sucks bigtime, and they need to fix it soon. 

In terms of documentation I won't fully agree, it's trickling out albeit slowly. But the program itself is very well done otherwise and easy to learn.

I don't know where java still factors in...

• 2. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
            RickWhitelaw

"For most of us it is a big disappointment that FMS 13 needs dedicated server and cannot run machines where is OS X Server app installed."

As it turns out, and if you care to search, there ARE ways to run FMS and Server OS on the same machine. Is there a reason you need to do this? I assume yes. To denigrate FMS because it's not simple out of the box or doesn't do what you think it should do in spite of documentation from FileMaker Inc that gives clear advice is just not right. I've been using FMS for a while and find it works perfectly for my (modest) needs.

Your choice of words and attitude as evidenced in your post could use some improvement.

• 3. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
              TimoYlikännö

Currently I have server with Mavericks on it. It is installed formatted hard drive and after installation I installed Filemaker Server 13. There is not any other software installed. Still, Filemaker Server is refusing to work. At this time database fails to start. There is not any errors on log file. I have no clue what should I do next to get server running. 

Therefore I think there is something else than my attitude or words what needs some improvement.  

• 4. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                Markus Schneider

we got several FMS13 here - and they are working quite fine.

A problem is in the documentation: The spec's are very hard to find and then, they are telling You, that 10.9.x SERVER is not for FMS13 (only 10.8.x is listed). There is not hint how to install FMS on Mavericks Server in that document (FileMaker web -> store -> FMS -> tech spec's). Maybe there is a better decription somewhere else - but where would one look for specs else than on the main website of the product?

I would really not say 'big turd'  (no idea what this means, but it sounds not nice..)

• 5. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13

Timo Ylikännö:

Thank you for the post.

"At this time database fails to start."

Other users previously reported this issue here:

FileMaker 13 Server fails to start upon reboot

"Currently I have server with Mavericks on it."

What version of Mavericks? Is this Mavericks with or without the Server.app? 

Are you completely up to date with Mac OS X 10.9.3? Are you completely up to date with FileMaker Server 13.0v2?

Try the following command from page 235 of the FileMaker Server 13 Help Guide in Terminal.app:

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

Does the FileMaker Server 13 start?

Let me know if any of the above needs further clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                    TimoYlikännö

I haven't install anything else than Filemaker Server. There is no Server.app installed. 

I have newest versions of OS X (10.9.3) and Filemaker Server (13.0v2)

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms does not  do anything. No error messages on log neither starts server. Currently I have Web Server and WPE running but no FMS. 

These are my currently running processes:

89 ??         0:00.54 /Library/FileMaker Server/Database Server/bin/fmserver_helperd -d

189 ??         0:00.52 /Library/FileMaker Server/Database Server/bin/fmsib

191 ??         0:00.22 /Library/FileMaker Server/Database Server/bin/fmslogtrimmer -f access_log,error_log,ssl_access_log,ssl_request_log,ssl_error_log,fmsadminserver_access_log,fmsadminserver_error_log,fmsadminserver_ssl_request_log

242 ??         0:00.00 /usr/sbin/rotatelogs /Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/logs/fmsadminserver_error_log 10M

245 ??         0:00.01 /usr/sbin/rotatelogs /Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/logs/fmsadminserver_access_log 10M

246 ??         0:00.01 /usr/sbin/rotatelogs /Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/logs/fmsadminserver_ssl_request_log 10M

274 ??         0:00.96 /Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpc/bin/fmscwpc
                    • 7. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                      TimoYlikännö

One thing comes to my mind. I have case sensitive filesystem. Could that be a problem?

• 8. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                        Markus Schneider

YES - thats it! FMServer will not work when HD is formatted as case sensitive. I did not mention this because I couldn't finish the installation on a case sensitive formatted HD.

FileMaker: Please mention this in the Spec's - the tech-notes are way to hard to find (I know that this is mentioned in one of the tech-doc's). IMHO, it's a FMS bug anyway

• 9. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                          TimoYlikännö

I double checked my file system and it seems that one of my many many reinstallations I have formatted drive to incase sensitive file system. My apologies for wrong information. 

Oh my, that was so close. 

• 10. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                            Markus Schneider

I lost more than 2 days with fiddeling around, reinstalling, re-formatting, etc on a Mac I bought from eBay. I did not pay attention to the formatting. After a couple of re-formattings, I realized, that the Mac was formatted 'case sensitive'. I strongly recommend to format the Mac (HD) as Mac OS Extended, journaled

• 11. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13

@All:

Thank you for the replies.

Since markus schneider mentioned the knowledge base ( thank you! ) here is the article:

Disk Formatting Recommendations for Mac OS X and FileMaker Products

What format types are the safest to use with FileMaker products?

"*Please note that this does not include Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)."

"FileMaker: Please mention this in the Spec's - the tech-notes are way to hard to find (I know that this is mentioned in one of the tech-doc's)."

Additionally, I forwarded this thread (including suggestions) to our Documentation Manager for review.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                                TimoYlikännö

I'd like to mention that any of the suggested tips didn't help me. My FMS still not start. I'm still highly disappointed.

• 13. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                                  Markus Schneider

Since I suffered a lot with Server-installing... Is there an internet-connection? (at least while installation)

We got 6 FMS here, all on Mini's (different OS), one Mini, one FMS - and while there are thousend of things to complain, FMS is running fine! Biggest problem was the mal-formatted machine - among the admin-console (what is really not a masterpiece of software). But the server are all running (not so the &%ç* admin console, that thingy will get lost after a few weeks of running and keeps me restarting the Mini's)

-> there must be something 'special' on Your installation

• 14. Re: Please, do not buy Filemaker Server 13
                                    Datagrace

FMI is clear that Mavericks Server is not supported. FMI does not list 'not supported' operating systems (Windows 98?), but it does list Mavericks and OSX Mountain Lion and OSX Mountain Lion Server v10.8.5. The implication is not subtle: in 10.8.5, OS X Server is supported; in Mavericks, it is not. http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13180/kw/FMS%20requirement

To rant about morons and turds after not following the instructions seems a bit hasty.

The elephant in the room [the big thing not being talked about] is that Apple is not in the server business.

Markus: 'turd' = 'une merde' en Français. 

John Weinshel

1 2 Previous Next