7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 10:36 PM by Jason Wood

Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server

johnnykrz

Title

Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server

Your post

I know this should be basic stuff, but I am unable to get plugins to appear in the admin console (or to be used by hosted solutions). I am using FMSA 10 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.7. I placed the plugins in both of these locations with the group and permissions set as 'fmsadmin' with 'g+wrx':

/Library/FileMaker\ Server/Database\ Server/Extensions

/Library/FileMaker\ Server/Web\ Publishing/publishing-engine/wpc/Plugins

I tried restarting the server and I've checked those permissions about a hundred times. I feel like such a noob because this has been quite simple in the past. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server
          TSGal

JohnnyKrz:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you have set it up correctly.  The two folders are correct.  Setting the permissions for "g+wrx" is also correct.

Do you see any plug-ins?  Is the Auto-Update plug-in showing?

Were you using FileMaker Server previously and updated the OS?  Or, were you using OS X 10.5.7 and updated the version of FileMaker Server?

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server
            aobajapan

We are having the exact same problem.

To add,

> Do you see any plug-ins?  Is the Auto-Update plug-in showing?

No and No.

>Were you using FileMaker Server previously and updated the OS?  Or, were you using OS X 10.5.7 and updated the version of FileMaker Server? 

The 2nd choice. The OS was 10.5.7, then installed FileMaker 10 Server.

I went into /Library/FileMaker Server/Database Server/Extensions and basically ran "sudo chmod -R g+wrx xDBC*" and made sure all group permissions has wrx. The only 2 items in that directory is:

drwxrwxr-x  6 fmserver  fmsadmin   204 Aug 17 18:15 xDBC Support

drwxrwxr-x  3 fmserver  fmsadmin   102 Jun  3 14:38 xDBC.fmplugin

The auto-update, ODBC, nor any plugin is showing in the FileMaker Admin GUI.

I've also followed the help guide (http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/fms10_help.pdf) to no avail.

And stopping and starting the FileMaker 10 Server didn't help. The FileMaker Server has been updated to 10.0.2.206, but the problem has existed both before and after the update. 

Also, I've followed the ODBC/JDBC installation guide included with the FileMaker 10 Server CD/package and there is no process listening on port 2399 on the Mac OS X server. I've checked running "netstat -an | grep 2399" in Terminal. I've opened the database on a Mac OS X (10.5.7) client machine with FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced, and enabled ODBC with permissions on those databases. And in the FileMaker admin GUI, clicking on "Databases", I can see the databases listed and the "ODBC/JDBC" column checked.

Lastly, I've also confirmed in the FileMaker 10 Server admin GUI, clicking on "Configuration: ODBC/JDBC" that "Enable ODBC/JDBC" is checked. I've tried unchecking, then saving, then checking and saving, but there still isn't any process listening on 2399.

• 3. Re: Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server
              TSGal

aobajapan:

Thank you for your post.

Are you on a one machine configuration or multiple machine configuration?  Did you move any FileMaker folders after installation?  Did you run just the default installation?

Let's check the Event.log file to make sure the Auto-update plug-in was loaded.

Did you have a version of FileMaker Server prior to FileMaker Server 10?

Did you encounter any errors running Admin Console?

Do you have access to another machine for testing purposes?  Specifically, I'd like you to install your copy of FileMaker Server 10 on the test machine using the default installation.  If you can do this and not encounter any problems, then we can focus on the differences etween the two machines.

Check your System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall setting, and make sure you can allow incoming connections for FileMaker Server 10.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server
                aobajapan

TSGal, thank you for the troubleshooting suggestions. Sadly, the FileMaker Server 10 GUI still isn't showing any plug-ins and there's no process listening on port 2399.

To answer your questions:
                >Are you on a one machine configuration or multiple machine configuration?

One machine.

>  Did you move any FileMaker folders after installation?
                No.

>  Did you run just the default installation?
                Yes.

> Let's check the Event.log file to make sure the Auto-update plug-in was loaded.

$ pwd
                /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs
                $ grep -i auto Event.Log
                <snip>
                2009-07-27 15:36:21.193 +0900 Information 533 filemaker.server.lan Automatic updates enabled.
                2009-08-17 18:13:23.285 +0900 Information 533 filemaker.server.lan Automatic updates enabled.
                $

Also:
                $ grep -i plug Event.log 
                2009-08-17 15:16:56.998 +0900 Information 480 filemaker.server.lan Use of server-side plug-ins: Enabled
                2009-08-17 18:13:23.290 +0900 Information 480 filemaker.server.lan Use of server-side plug-ins: Enabled
                2009-08-17 18:31:35.842 +0900 Information 482 filemaker.server.lan Use of server-side plug-ins: Disabled
                2009-08-17 18:31:55.309 +0900 Information 480 filemaker.server.lan Use of server-side plug-ins: Enabled

> Did you have a version of FileMaker Server prior to FileMaker Server 10?
                No. We installed fms_10.0.1.64.dmg, then updated with 10.0v2 (fms_10v2_mac_updater.dmg).

> Did you encounter any errors running Admin Console?
                No.

> Do you have access to another machine for testing purposes? 
                No.

> Specifically, I'd like you to install your copy of FileMaker Server 10 on the test machine using the default installation.  If you can do this and not encounter any problems, then we can focus on the differences etween the two machines.

Interesting. I've justed setup a test machine and have FileMaker Server 10 listening for ODBC on port 2399. I've installed Mac OS X 10.5 + 10.5.7 combo update, then FileMaker Server 10 then the v2 update (fms_10v2_mac_updater.dmg). I had to kill -9 the FileMaker Server to run the update because running "sudo fmsadmin stop" gave:
                fmsadmin: really stop? (y, n) y
                fmsdamin: Connection Refused: Server is unavailable.
                fmsadmin: Permission denied.
                Error: 9

but "ps auxw | grep -i filemaker" showed "fmserverd -d" and "fmserver_helperd -d" running, so those were killed -9.

After the update, I went through the deployment wizard (single machine deployment) and selected yes to enabling ODBC/JDBC and no to the others, so that IWP, XSLT, XML, PHP are all disabled. Only ODBC/JDBC is enabled.

But in the FileMaker Server Admin Console, under "Databases", the sample database (FMServer_Sample.fp7) shows all columns checked. (i.e Pro, IWP, XSLT, XML, PHP, ODBC/JDBC)! I thought I had disabled them in the deployment wizard.

Furthermore, clicking "Database Server" -> "Server Plug-Ins", the "Enable FileMaker Server to use plug-ins is NOT checked!! And there are no plugins below listed. It's empty.

In Terminal, I've "netstat -an | grep 2399" and FileMaker Server IS listening on that port!

So are NO plugins even needed???

Back in the Admin GUI under "ODBC/JDBC", "Enable ODBC/JDBC" is checked.

I'm very confused as to why FileMaker Server doesn't have any processes listening for ODBC connections.

> Check your System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall setting, and make sure you can allow incoming connections for FileMaker Server 10.

There's nothing blocking FileMaker Server 10 on the server nor router. FileMaker Pro 10 clients from both Windows and Macs can connect to the FileMaker Server 10.

By running "netstat -an | grep 2399" in Terminal, we've confirmed there's no process listening for ODBC connections (the production server, not test server).

Any other ideas? 
                • 5. Re: Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server
                  TSGal

aobajapan:

I apologize for the late reply.

Thank you for testing on another server.

Under "Databases", it lists the files and the options available.  For example, FMServer_Sample.fp7 has every option (IWP, XSLT, ODBC, etc.) available.  This has nothing to do with what is actually turned on in Server.

The Auto-update plug-in checks solely for any updates to FileMaker server.  If you are not using any additional plug-ins with your solutions, then I wouldn't spend a lot of time on this.

Port 2399 is used for ODBC/JDBC connections, so if FileMaker "IS listening on that port!" on the test server, then that is a start.  Please be sure to review Knowledge Base Article #6427 for all ports needed by FileMaker Server.

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6427

I don't know why 2399 is not listening on the production server.  Does the Admin Console show ODBC active?  If so, do you have the ability to send an SQL query from another application to FileMaker?  If so, what error message do you receive?  (Unable to connect?).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server
                    jbarnum

For whatever reason, it's normal to not see the xDBC plugin in the server plugins list UNLESS you have one or more plugins installed on the server. Even then, it doesn't make any difference whether you enable it or not. If the xDBC plugin is the ONLY server plugin installed, you'll see blank list of server plugins in the server admin console.

That doesn't explain why it's not listening on port 2399, so you've got a genuine issue, I just didn't want you to think that something was wrong because it's not appearing in the list. If you'd like to, you can download any server compatible plugin (like our free ScriptMaster plugin at http://www.360works.com/scriptmaster), and once you put it in the Database Server/Extensions directory, you should see that plugin along with the xDBC plugin in the list. 

• 7. Re: Plug-Ins not showing up in FM Server
                      Jason Wood

Another hint for anyone having trouble getting plugins to appear in the list... make sure when you start and stop the server you are starting/stopping the Database Server, NOT the Web Publishing Engine!!!!!! The buttons are right next to each other and this stumped me enough to come looking for this thread before I realized what was going on.

Jason