3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 9:28 AM by damiendoyle

Printing

damiendoyle

Title

Printing

Your post

Hi,

I know I might be asking a silly question but here it goes. If I set up an 'edit box' on a Layout but only allow three lines of text, I then input some text into the edit box but i now have 10 lines. What settings do I need on this 'edit box' to allow me have it that when i print it pushes all infomation below the 'edit box' down to print the 10 lines? please if you have an answer try and be basic with me as i am only new to FM. Dont know if this is relivent but im using a Mac.

• 1. Re: Printing
          philmodjunk

You might first note that you posted this question in the FM Server part of the forum. No biggie people get "lost" in this forum all the time, but if you post such questions in the FM Pro Forum (see tabs at top of this screen), your question will be seen by a lot more people.

Filemaker Fields cannot "grow" they can only "shrink" by setting them to "slide up" and "resize enclosing part" on the inspetor's position tab.

You can enter layout mode, make this field 13 lines of text taller or even more, then select the above two sliding options to get the field to adjust to the size of the data in it when you print, preview or save as PDF.

Note, however, that this may be an issue of putting too much data in a single field. It may be that you need to put only one or a few lines of text in the same field, but in different records. This can avoid the issues you are currently encountering, but it all depends on what kind of data you are entering into this field.

• 2. Re: Printing
            philmodjunk

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
            3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
            5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
            7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
            9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
            11.           Fields will slide up only if Top, alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if left alignment is specified.
            13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
            • 3. Re: Printing
              damiendoyle

Thanks very much for your help.