1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 10:34 AM by AdamNemitoff

Private vs Public IP - Database Server

AdamNemitoff

Title

Private vs Public IP - Database Server

Your post

I just installed FMS-13 on a machine that has both private and public IP adressess.  The admin status panel lists the IP address as the PRIVATE address.  

A FileMaker Pro Client running from a computer on an external network, that can only communicate with the host via its public IP address, cannot get to the database server.

Just as a test, I verified that a client running on a local machine can connect via the local IP address.  But that is not acceptable.

• 1. Re: Private vs Public IP - Database Server
          AdamNemitoff

I am answering my own question based. I found the answer after doing WAY too much searching via google.

My server (a new Amazon EC2 - Windows 2012 instance) had Windows Firewall enabled and was blocking port 5003 for the local domain. To remove the block, from the Windows Firewall control panel, I selected "inbound" and added a new "port" rule allowing access for port 5003.  

NOTE: I had already configured the Amazon EC2 Security Group for the server to allow traffic for port 5003 (and HTTP and HTTPS too).