5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 10:03 AM by philmodjunk

Problem executing a  scripted Find in IWP  - Filemaker 8

cradabaugh

Title

Problem executing a  scripted Find in IWP  - Filemaker 8

Your post

We have an application on our Filemaker Server (8.0v4) (the box is Windows Server 2003).  One particular script takes the user to a layout, enters Find mode, and the user is to select a Radio Button choice from value lists.  This works well from a filemaker client, but not from our Instant Web page.  The behavior from the IWP page is that clicking on any of the radio buttons results in this message:

The page at http://our server name says:

Bad Request

The server could not process your request due to a lmissing command.  "".

I've tried to tweak the script, and searched the forums, and haven't found the remedy.

The script has - 

Go to Layout[Search]

Set Error Capture [On]

Enter Find Mode [] Pause

Perform Find[]

If  [Get (LastError) > 0]

The error is kicked at us before the logic for error handling is executed.

Any ideas?  Is the IWP plus a find with radio buttons  not supported?

Thanks,

Caathe

• 1. Re: Problem executing a  scripted Find in IWP  - Filemaker 8
          TSGal

cradabaugh:

Thank you for your post.

I don't have a FileMaker Server 8 machine available, but this definitely works with FileMaker Server 10.

Does this only occur in one file?  That is, if you create a similar script in a second file, does that work? 

IF you continue to encounter difficulty, another option you may want to try is split the script into two parts.  That is, the first script enters Find Mode and ends.  Have a "Find" button in the Layout that executes the Find and performs the error checking.  Does that make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Problem executing a  scripted Find in IWP  - Filemaker 8
            cradabaugh

TSGal:

Thank you so much for your reply.  We did break the script into 2, as you had suggested.  But that hasn't fixed the problem.  Other databases on the same server have similar scripts that work just fine.  The problem happens only for web users.

I've even created a new, test, database with a similar script and it also works for the web.  We are beginning to suspect that the author of this database had initially worked in Filemaker8, but then saved a fewchanges to the database with a Filemaker 10 client.  And then the application was copied to our Filemaker8 Server.  And that's when the problems began.

At present, we are working to migrate our old Filemaker6 server to a Filemaker 10 server.  We'll then move this database from the Filemaker 8 Server to the Filemaker 10 Server.  That's the plan.....

Thanks again!

Cathe

• 3. Re: Problem executing a  scripted Find in IWP  - Filemaker 8
              philmodjunk

Simply making changes to the file with filemaker 10 shouldn't break things for your version unless those changes incorporated a feature from Filemaker 10 that doesn't exist in your version. That's certainly not the case with the sample script you posted.

On the other hand, it's possible you have some file corruption here. I'd recover the file and test the recovered copy (even if it says "no problems found".) to see if behaves differently. If that fixes things, find an undamaged backup and use it to replace your current copy.

• 4. Re: Problem executing a  scripted Find in IWP  - Filemaker 8
                cradabaugh

Thanks for your reply, and I agree with what you say.  However, we did recover the file, and tested that copy.  We still got the 'Bad request.  The server could not process your request due to a missing command.' message when running the script from the web (using Instant Web). 

I'm following the reasoning used in thread 33167, on this forum, posted by Nancy IDM on Dec 7, 09.  Her comment is what has made us accelerate our migration to the Filemaker 10 Server - which is something we should be doing anyway.....:-)

I'll post the results once we have the database running on the new server.  This had better work. (Fingers crossed)

Cathe

• 5. Re: Problem executing a  scripted Find in IWP  - Filemaker 8
                  philmodjunk

"...could not process your request due to a missing command."

OK, that message suggests that some FMP 10 specific command was added that's causing your problem. Sounds like you can continue to upgrade and/or find out what change was made (perhaps a custom function?) and get it changed to be compatible with your current version.