1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 6:32 AM by SandyP

Problem Starting Database Server

SandyP

Title

Problem Starting Database Server

Your post

We're running FileMaker Server 10 (v 10.0.2.206) on a virtual PC running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise with Service Pack 1.  When we reboot the server it seems to be a 50/50 chance if FileMaker Server starts up correctly. Some of the time everything seems fine and users can use the databases. At other times after the restart no databases are available.

We can launch the FileMaker Server Admin Console and log in. But the only options available are the overview screen and the log viewer. If you try to access anything else you get the message:

The Database Server is not available.

Admin Console functionality is limited to FileMaker Server Overview and the Log Viewer.

To use other functionality, please start the Database Server again.

Choosing "Start Database Server" brings up an egg-timer which changes back to a pointer after a minute or so but there is no apparent change and no messages.

Users trying to connect can't see any of the databases either so I'm fairly convinced that they aren't available rather than the console just not seeing them.

The log file only contains information events, no errors or warnings.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sandy

• 1. Re: Problem Starting Database Server
          SandyP

I thought I'd post a follow up to this in case it helps anyone else.

The problem was with the order the services were starting on the Windows server. I still don't know what particular service was causing the problem but I guess it took a variable amount of time to start up. When it started first the FileMaker Server service started perfectly. If the FileMaker Server service got in first no databases were started.

I set the FileMaker Server service to "Delayed start" and everything has been fine since. I probably should work out the dependencies and set the services to start in the right order but at least for now it is working reliably.

Sandy