12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 12:43 PM by TSGal

problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399

kapitaen_1

Title

problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399

Your post

Hi al,

i have a windows server 2003 with filemaker server 10a installed. The server had odbc configured to present its data via odbc. This has worked for one or two weeks.

Then in a sudden odbc didnt work any more. When trying to connect via the sequelink driver i only got the error message "connection refused".

I made a virtual vmware machine to test it out. odbc worked without a problem.

Then with the help of netstat and tcpview i found out, that on the virtual machine that works ok, the process fmserver.exe listens to port 2399. On the machine that doesnt work nothing listens to port 2399. But on both machines the filemaker server console tells that odbc is started correctly.

Is there any chance to get the machine running again, without re-installing everything from w2k3 up to fmp server?

greetings from germany

Chris 

• 1. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
          TSGal

kapitaen:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, FileMaker Server listens to port 2399.  For all ports needed, please see Knowledge Base Article #6427:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6427

In answer to your question, I would NOT reinstall everything!

This used to work, but now it isn't.  Since the immediate problem is with the ODBC connection, let's reinstall the ODBC client driver.  Then, test it out again.  It may be that simple.

If this fails, and since it sounds like you have stopped and started FileMaker Server, I would then do an uninstall and reinstall of FileMaker Server.  If this now fails, then I would try installing FileMaker Server on another machine (if you have one).  The last thing I want to do is reinstall Windows 2003.

Please keep me updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
            kapitaen_1

hi TSGal,

in the early days of the problem, on the machine with the problems i already re-installed the client odbc driver, but that cannot be the problem, or solve it. Because the client driver does not listen to 2399, it calls 2399. And the same sequelink odbc driver calls many other servers without a problem. As i have seen with netstat and tcpview, there was nothing that listened to 2399 (although the console said that odbc had started).

So what i did meanwhile ... i deinstalled fms 10, re-installed it. First check all ok. The rebooted the machine several times, and the same problem again. So i deinstalled fms 10 again, and installed filemaker server 9. First check ok, and after several reboots all stays ok. Funny.

The machine is heavily loaded with MS Sqlserver 2000, 2005, IIS, Filemaker server and many many websites. There must be something between these things that makes the trouble.

And because it is my developing machine and no productive thing that needs the features of fms10, so i will leave it with fms9 until i have some more time (currently i am working on parameter-passing to IWP and exporting excel-files from IWP. The work is not done now, but it already looks great!).

Thank you for your hints.

greetings from germany

Chris 

• 3. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
              mfrapp

Bump

I have the same problem with fmsa 10v2 developper, everything is enabled for odbc but telnet to server on port 2399 fails

i copied the same fp7 to a fmsa9 and everything works fine.

any news?

• 4. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                TSGal

mfrapp:

Thank you for your post.

Are you running on Mac OS or Windows?  What version?

Were there any problems when installing the ODBC driver?

Any other specific information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                  Jozef
                     I'am facing the same problem with FMSA 10 on Windows Server 2003. It is not possible to create DNS because of error:
                  [DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][SequeLink Client]TCP/IP error, connection refused.

netstat -a shows that there is no 2399 port listening. There is no firewall, no antivirus ON.

But the FMSA9 on the same server listen 2399 without any problems.

I went through all Knowledge Base but I can't find any solution for this.

Thank You for Your experiences!

• 6. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                    TSGal

Jozef:

Thank you for your post.

Did anything occur out of the ordinary when you either uninstalled FileMaker Server 9 or installed FileMaker Server 10?  Even if it seems trivial, it may provide a clue.

After uninstalling FileMaker Server 9, did you verify that the FileMaker Server 9 folder was removed?

Any problems installing the ODBC driver?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                      Jozef

Thank You for fast reply. Here are answers:

I did not find something extraordinary during installation/ uninstallation

Yes folder was removed after uninstalling FMSA 9

No problems with ODBC driver installation

But I got answer from support and now it works. Problem was a bug in ODBC support and with new extension from them it works.

ThankYou!!!

• 8. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                        TSGal

Jozef:

I'm glad you solved the problem.  However, I am unaware of any "new extension".  Can you elaborate a bit more in case others encounter the same problem?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                          Jozef
                             Here are more details:

recently we purchased upgrade for our FMSA 9 to FMSA 10. After installation there was no 2399 port available, despite for FMSA 9 it was OK.
                          Solution came from ws support:

"Actually, we have detected a bug in ODBC support on this version :

I have uploaded on our FTP server, a new folder extensions to install
                          with this procedure :

1- Download and unzip the "extensions" archive
                          2-go in the admin console
                          - stop ODBC
                          - stop the Server
                          3- quit the console
                          4- open dataserver folder
                          5- drag current extensions folder on the desktop (if it is refused,
                          restart the computer)
                          6- restart the computer
                          7- copy the extensions folder you have uploaded in the dataserver folder
                          8- start the Server and ODBC again
                          9- ODBC should work now"

and it works.

• 10. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                            kapitaen_1

@Jozef:

unfortunately your answer tells nothing that helps. What is the adress of this ftp server, what is the path to the miraculous extensions archive, is a user/password required (uh-oh, dont post sercret information!), and who or what is ws support?

@TSGal:

if there is a general solution with the miraculous extension folder from Filemaker, please please please ask in the Filemaker support / development department for anything to make public in the public Filemaker Download Areas.

Thanks!

greetings from gemany

chris 

• 11. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                              TSGal

Jozef:

What is the ftp server address?  What is "ws" support?  Nobody in Technical Support is aware of this extensions archive.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: problem with filemaker server 10a and odbc port 2399
                                TSGal

Replied here to a different post.  Please ignore.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.