5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2012 11:41 AM by philmodjunk

Problem With Migrating to Filemaker SERVER

neilgalang

Title

Problem With Migrating to Filemaker SERVER

Your post

Hello Everyone,

I hope you can help me solve this one on time. My boss will be acquiring a copy of Filemaker Server soon and he is asking me to migrate our current Filemaker Pro Client Database system to the New FM Server Setup.

However I have learned that such button scripts as SAVE COPY AS CLONE and IMPORT/EXPORT records do not work (grayed out) in FM SERVER. These are crucial scripts for our existing database as medical records need to be 1) Sorted 2) Added to a new file

I have been looking for a work around so that when the FM Server comes, I will immedeately able to migrate.

I hope someone can point me to a solution. Thank You

• 1. Re: Problem With Migrating to Filemaker SERVER
          philmodjunk

Import and export will work just find when you host your files from server provided you manage the file references in them correctly. There is a major limitation to server scheduled scripts that use import and export, but imports and exports you initiate from a client machine should work just fine.

It's true you can't use save a copy as, but the server itself can be scheduled to make back up copies and you can access the back up copies without interfering with the function of the hosted database.

• 2. Re: Problem With Migrating to Filemaker SERVER
            neilgalang

Hello again.

I have installed FM Server trial on my macbook pro-- I was able to upload my databases with ease but I am having a problem with the file paths involved in the database.

I have specified them according to where they were saved by the server such as

filemac:/Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/xxxxx/file.fp7

but when I click on the button the import or export script doesnt work..it just scrools up to the header and nothing happens. What can I possibly be doing wrong :( I have a few days for deployment and I am panicking..I tried importing and exporting from the admin machine but using a different browser. Otherwise I am having trouble accessing my saved files...please help..

• 3. Re: Problem With Migrating to Filemaker SERVER
              philmodjunk

I tried importing and exporting from the admin machine but using a different browser.

Are you using Instant Web Publishing and accessing the file from a web browser or are you connecting via a computer running FileMaker Pro?

I've assumed  FileMaker Pro client.

I have specified them according to where they were saved by the server such as...

Use a relative file path instead of the explicit file path:

File: filename.fp7

And see if that works. Since this is a script, you'll need to open the script up and edit the script to update the file reference inside this script.

Relative file paths should work as long as all the files so referenced are in the same folder on the server as the file where the script is being performed.

• 4. Re: Problem With Migrating to Filemaker SERVER
                neilgalang

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am  using IWP and accessing the file from Firefox. --I have client installed on my laptop as well but I am using my browser to test for our FM server deployment.

I will try using a relative filepath vs the explicit filepath as suggested.

• 5. Re: Problem With Migrating to Filemaker SERVER
                  philmodjunk

Import records is not a compatible script step when using IWP. You may need to use a FileMaker Client in cases where you import records.