10 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 12:57 PM by pablokenfold

Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9

KENNYMAC1933

Title

Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9

Your post

I have tried to install Filemaker Server 10 on my imac that I bought last year that has Snow Leopard installed but without success it claims I have Filemaker Server 9 on my computer and it must be removed first before Server 10 can be installed. I have done various searches but can't find any files other than a Filemaker Server Folder on Hard Disk in Library which I have now removed, but needless to say I am no expert something must be hidden from eyes.

I did install Filemaker Server 10 on an old G4 laptop and admin console which worked fine but Instant Web Publishing is not working in my database that I want to publish on the web (Probably to do with system software just being Leopard). Anyway I would prefer to just have Filemaker Server working on my main computer but I must have files concerning Filmaker Server 9 floating about the computer and I can't get rid of them or don't know where to look to find them. How can I uninstall Filemaker Server 9.0 if I don't have a disk.

What is annoying about this is Instant Web Publishing works on my imac but not on the powerbook and Admin Console works on the powerbook but not the imac this is driving me crazy. Please help.

• 1. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
          TSGal

KENNYMAC1933:

Thank you for your post.

Usually, you should run the Uninstall with FileMaker Server 9 before running the Install with FileMaker Server 10.  Most likely, you removed the necessary files.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to download the FileMaker Server 9 Trial that will allow you to install and uninstall FileMaker Server 9.

If Instant Web Publishing is not working on your database file, launch Admin Console and make sure the Web Publishing Engine is on as well as Instant Web Publishing?  If so, then click the "Database" link in the left column, and make sure your database file is set for Instant Web Publishing.  If not, close the file, open it in FileMaker Pro and turn on Instant Web Publishing.

If Admin Console is working on one machine but not the other, it is probably a Java issue.  Besides the version of Java you are using, what OS exists on both machines?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
            KENNYMAC1933

Thanks for your help I was able to uninstall Filemaker Server 9.

I have now installed Filemaker Server 10 on my new imac and everything seems to be working with the exception of IWP as mentioned earlier. I have down the following as you said "If Instant Web Publishing is not working on your database file, launch Admin Console and make sure the Web Publishing Engine is on as well as Instant Web Publishing?  If so, then click the "Database" link in the left column, and make sure your database file is set for Instant Web Publishing.  If not, close the file, open it in FileMaker Pro and turn on Instant Web Publishing." But I still have the same problem on my database, when I click Sharing - IWP and I try to turn on IWP I get the following "Filemaker cannot share files over the web because IWP could not be started".

Another remark made on my database when I click it to start is "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using Filemaker Pro on this computer" - confused.

Once thanks again for your previous help and any help here most welcome.

• 3. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
              DanDeman

Hey There,

I saw your topic about uninstalling FMS 9 and i have the same problem.

I tried everything and even the helpdesk of FM could not help me.

It seems like that there is running something on the background but everything is gone ( thats wat the helpline told me to do!)

Grz from Holland

Dan

• 4. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
                TSGal

KENNYMAC1933:

Thanks for the update, and I apologize for the late reply.

If you get the error message that FileMaker cannot share files over the web, then you may have a conflict with port 80.  Try changing to port 591 and try again.  FileMaker, Inc. registered this port so no other application is trying to use it.

If this fails, then quit FileMaker Pro and reboot the machine.  This should reset any network issues.  Launch FileMaker Pro, open the local file and try turning on Instant Web Publishing again.  If this fails, then make sure you don't have a copy of FileMaker Server running on the same machine.

Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
                  TSGal

DanDeman:

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with details how to uninstall FileMaker Server 9.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
                    KENNYMAC1933

TSGal,

I uninstalled the server and was able to work IWP and changed the port to 591, but I don't understand how I can publish my database without the server. 

Also I can't set a password log in for Guest accounts so that they can read only.

So I take it if the server is installed then IWP in my database file does not work/not meant to work then how would I go about setting up file or server to give access to guest account with read only?

Thanks Again

KENNYMAC1933

• 7. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
                      TSGal

KENNYMAC1933:

FileMaker Pro allows you to share a file through Instant Web Publishing with up to five users.  FileMaker Pro needs to be running at all times.  For example, launch FileMaker Pro on your local machine, turn on Instant Web Publishing and share a file.  You can then go to another machine (or even the local machine), and enter (depending on the port):

http://<IP Address>

or 

http://<IP Address>:591

So, as long as you have a static IP address (and not need more than five users accessing the file at one time), you don't need FileMaker Server.

The Guest account under Accounts & Privileges defaults to Read Only.  If you have activated the Guest account (placing a check mark next to Guest access in Accounts & Privileges), then Instant Web Publishing will recognize that account.  When a person accesses the database file via Instant Web Publishing, they will be prompted Guest Account or Account Name and Password.  Selecting the Guest Account will give those users Read Only capabilities.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
                        KENNYMAC1933

Thanks, I was able to follow your instructions and get my database to work without using the server for viewing for no more than 5 people.

What I am curious about now is, I use the web viewer in my database with loads of links and get it to work no problem in my database but the viewer does not work when viewing my database on the internet, I take it this is not ment to work in this way and only provides a use to me when I am on my computer using my database directly.

• 9. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
                          TSGal

KENNYMAC1933:

Thank you for the additional information.

A Web Viewer should display correctly with FileMaker Pro and Instant Web Publishing.

I just created a web viewer showing the static address:   http://www.filemaker.com

The web site displays when I view that Layout using a browser with Instant Web Publishing.

Are you referencing a file?  If so, then make sure that file is on a volume that is mounted for that guest.  Otherwise, it will try to look for a volume on the local machine, cannot find it, and display nothing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Problems uninstalling Filemaker Server 9
                            pablokenfold

Hello. I'm also in need of the FMServer9 trial link, so I can propoerly uninstall it.

Would you be kind enough to provide me with the link via PM? thank you in advance.