2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 11:56 PM by juancardona

Problems with ODBC and character sets

knutin

Title

Problems with ODBC and character sets

Your post

Hello all,

We have started a large project based on an existing FileMaker-solution. One of the keys to this projects success is the connection for reading, writing, updating and deleting data in the FileMaker database using ODBC.

The ODBC connection works as documented and expected, for the most part. The real problem appears when dealing with special non-ASCII characters, like æ, ø and å, which are extremely important in the northern part of Europe.

We use Python, mxODBC(have also tried pyodbc, same problems) and the bundled ODBC driver. This setup runs on Mac OS X 10.5.5. 

If we insert UTF-8 encoded data into the database, we get only question marks when viewing the data in FileMaker. If we try to retrieve the data using the ODBC connection, we get only garbled data that we are not enable to decode/encode into be it utf-8 or latin-1 or whatnot. 

We have installed the same software on Windows Server 2008 and there we are actually able to read and write utf-8 encoded unicode data. 

Any tips, suggestions or technical knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Knut Nesheim

• 1. Re: Problems with ODBC and character sets
          chrisgill

I can't offer any help, but I thought I might bump this up the forum by adding our problem.

We want to update records in a MySQL database behind an ExpressionEngine CMS, from FM data maintained via FM9 and FM10. We are working on Macs.

We can put "fancy" characters (typesetting quote marks, en rules, accented characters) into the EE front end and they appear to be store in the MySQL database in UTF-8 encoding. We can put "fancy" characters into FM fields, of course. When we transfer text from an FM field to a MySQL field, the fancy characters go wrong. I haven't yet devoted time to establishing what exactly FM is writing, but it clearly is not UTF-8.

I can't find any help on this in the FM documents or online resources. Do we need to look at the configuration of the ODBC driver?

Chris 

• 2. Re: Problems with ODBC and character sets
            juancardona
               I had the same problem. If you use the plugin 360Works Scriptmaster try to uncheck it, then restart FileMaker.