2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 1:02 AM by Vincent_L

Question on FM 12/13 server hardware priorities.

MYoung

Title

Question on FM 12/13 server hardware priorities.

Your post

Hi,

We're deploying a new server for a medium sized company. Currently it's running at pretty close to the acceptable limit on a Mac Mini server, 2.3Ghz i7 quad core, 16GB RAM and a 500mb SSD. We have roughly 40 users over 5 sites running fairly constant access through the day, almost none via web though.

What I'm looking for is more specific hardware suggestions than the generic blurb in the documentation. Specifically, I'm looking to prioritize hardware components for when the inevitable requests for cuts come. Which of the following would be considered most important for performance? 

RAID Array, 4 disk vs 8

64GB RAM vs 32 GB

3.5Ghz 4 Core vs 3.0 GHZ 6 Core

Our developer is recommending we go with OSX vs a Windows solution, what's the communities view on stability and integration compared between the two?

My recommended solution so far is the new Mac Pro server (6 core 3.0/ 64GB)  with a 4 disk raid 10 thunderbolt raid array as the boot drive and an external 3tb for backups, but we're also trying to generate a Windows server alternative quote. How should I prioritize the PC hardware dollars, between disks/cores/RAM? I have a feeling they're going to want a "minimum spec" machine quote, and I still want it to be useful.

Also, has anyone run SSD in RAID, and if so is it a notable difference with FM versus a single SSD?

Finally, is there any practical difference between running on Windows 8 vs Server 2012?

Cheers,

Mike

• 1. Re: Question on FM 12/13 server hardware priorities.
          AppGuy

M Young-

You could use either the mac pro or a windows 2012 server...   Either OS will work fine..  We develop on Mac's and have about half windows workstations..  We went with a windows 2012 server due to the fact we could not rack mount a mac.. (that is the only reason)

But I will say the windows server has been really stable and working great..  Either a 4way or 6 way would do.  If you might want to implement some of the new web direct features then go 6way.

I would not run any server on a desktop product like windows 8.  It is meant for the desktop not server.

• 2. Re: Question on FM 12/13 server hardware priorities.
            Vincent_L

Stop the RAID madness. It will be slower than the built-in Mac Pro SSD.

You don't need RAID. You need backup (which is not RAID). The only kind of RAID you may need is RAID 1, to be able to reboot the server quickly. But it will slow you down cause you won't be able to use built-in ssd.

With a mac, and carbon copy cloner you do a clone each night on another bootable drive + backup of database elsewhere. If something goes wrong on built-in disk you reboot on the clone, and put back the backuped data. and bam you'r back in business in 10 min max.

Also, Filemaker Server don't use more than 4 cores at most, if you don't use web direct (web direct can use more cores). You need to have the highest Ghz possible because the useful task in filemaker use at most 100% of CPU. So privilege clock frequency. The best would be high Ghz hasswell processors (not available in mac pro, the xeon are inferior). So you have more choice in PC world (unless you use an mackintosh which is what I do, and its rock solid, even over clocked )

Finally, I prefer the Mac environment it's easier to maintain and offers great automation thanks to unix command line and applescript