1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2012 11:16 AM by philmodjunk

Quick and easy access to a database for multiple users

AlanCooper

Title

Quick and easy access to a database for multiple users

Your post

So I'm sure this is burried somewhere deep within either the forums or the help files, but I don't have time at work to dig through and uncover the answer. I'm setting up Filemaker for my company, we're using it to track work orders as they go through all the various stages of production, so we need to have the database opened on multiple computers at once. Now I know if you open Filemaker you can open a file that's already in use via the "Open Remote" method however here's the catch, almost all the technicians for my company are older (55+) gentlemen who speak english (poorly) as a second language. Our general rule is to compensate for the language/age barrier by making things as simple as possible. My question is this: is there a way to have them simply click on an icon on their desktop (or networked folder) and open up the filemaker database remotely, without having them select anything on a menu like picking the host and what not. Keep in mind I know how to open remotely and not much else so please use small words!

• 1. Re: Quick and easy access to a database for multiple users
          philmodjunk

Launch FileMaker on A client machine.

Instead of opening a file, create a new database.

No need to define any fields or tables in this file.

Write a script with this line in it by selecting Manage Scripts and clicking the New Button:

Select this script step and add it to your scritp:

Open File []

When selecting the file to open, Choose "Add FileMaker Data source" from the specify drop down.

Use this dialog to find and open the file hosted on your server by clicking the Remote button, just as though you were doing this by choosing Open from the file menu.

Click OK and save until you have left manage scripts.

Select File Options from the File Menu.

In here, you'll find you can set this file to perform a script automatically when the file opens. Specify it to perform the script you just created. In FileMaker 11 and older, you'll find a section labeled "when opening this file" that has a "perform script" check box to click to do this. In FileMaker 12, you'll click the "script triggers" tab and then select the OnFirstWindowOpen event.

Close and re-open this file and you should see it automatically open the hosted file on your network for you.

You can then copy this file to each computer on your network where you want this opener file.

(You can add a close window after the open file script step to close the opener file once it has opened the hosted database.)