3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 2:01 PM by philmodjunk

    Recently converted DBs open very slowly



      Recently converted DBs open very slowly

      Your post

      I have recently converted our 5.5 server (and DBs) to 10.0 we are running FMP10 clients and when opening one of our larger DBs it takes quite a while to open and then it takes a long time after that to open the related DBs.  The DBs opened quickly in 5.5, so I was wondering if there isn't something additional I might need to do to the DBs to get the to perform better in v10?  I was thinking that it may be because a lot of our users are still on XP, but I installed it on Win7 and still hhave the same problem.  I even installed a FMP11 client (trial version) to see if it was a client problem, but the DBs still open really slow.

      They are hosted on a Win2k3 server over a LAN.  I believe that the issue is with the DB itself, but what I want to know is that if there isn;t some additonal optimization that I may need to do to them.  If so, what is it and where do I find instructions?


        • 1. Re: Recently converted DBs open very slowly

          Hi Chris,

          have a look at the referenced files. There are all your servers FM5.5 has ever seen. You should clean up those references and things go fine. The problem was gone with all the files I did convert.

          • 2. Re: Recently converted DBs open very slowly

            Where do I find these references?  

            • 3. Re: Recently converted DBs open very slowly

              Open Manage | External Data Sources.

              The two main culprits are references to IP addresses that are invalid, but are followed by a different reference in the same entry that works and references that use asterisks.

              Brace yourself. Older versions of FileMaker did a really sloppy job of managing these and gave us no direct control of the references. You may find references to locations that haven't existed in your system for years and will likely find duplicate references to the same file, but with slightly different details in the external source references. While you can delete filepaths that are no longer valid, you can't just delete the entire extra reference without first tracking down each place that uses the extra reference and determining either that it's a part of the system you no longer use or one to update by "re-pointing" it at the other reference.

              I was able to use FileMaker advanced to remove all such duplication, but it took repeated searches of a database design report to track them all down in my scripts and layouts.