3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 4:17 PM by RockaBama

Related Drop Down list in FM 9

RockaBama

Title

Related Drop Down list in FM 9

Your post

I have a client with 7 hosted databases (FM Server 9 advanced and FM Pro 9 client) in which I have created a related drop down list that displays values from File 2 based on a matching ID in File 1 and File 2.  This works fine when tested in our environment (Windows).  However, in their environment (which I do not have direct access to explore) this feature does not work properly when the user adds values to File 2 in the hosted environment.  They did send me screen shots which shows that they have the files in a subfolder inside the Databases folder.  Could this be the issue?  Or, could it be possible that they are mapping the files in such a way that is not allowing changes to File 2 to be updated to the related drop down list in File 1?

I am fairly new to FM 7 to FM 10 and do not have access directly to their file structure.  Any insight or additional questions I can ask them to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Related Drop Down list in FM 9
          TSGal

RockaBama:

Thank you for your post.

Have one of the clients with full privileges pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database...".  Click on the Relationships tab, and make sure the two files are related to one another.  It appears that the relationship has broken and needs to be reset.  Once corrected, see if the drop down list now responds properly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Related Drop Down list in FM 9
            philmodjunk

They did send me screen shots which shows that they have the files in a subfolder inside the Databases folder.  Could this be the issue?  

That's very likely the issue. A great many external file references in filemaker locate a file in relation to the location of the directory that holds the first file. If they have it in a different directory with a different name than what you used to create the database, many such references will break.

TSGal's directions will fix that for you for this instance, you might have other broken relationships.

• 3. Re: Related Drop Down list in FM 9
              RockaBama
                 Thanks!  That worked. :)