1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 10:54 AM by PointInSpace

Remote Hosting FM Server and IWP

filemaker72

Title

Remote Hosting FM Server and IWP

Your post

Quick question regarding FM Server and IWP.

I want to have a FM 11 db available to about 45 co-workers.

I want to use a remote hosting service, as I don't want to bother with buying a server, setting up FM Server, worrying about the internet connection, backups, etc.

Question 1: Does anyone have a remote FM hosting service to recommend?

Most of the workers are running Ubuntu, so they'll need to access the db through IWP.

However, a few employees have either Macs or use Windows, so I want them to be able to access the db through a licensed copy of FM.

Question 2: If I use a remote hosting service to host my db, then end users will be able to access the same db through either IWP or through FM, correct? Meaning, that no matter how information was updated (either through FM or through IWP), the info would be synced, etc, for all?

I'm not too familiar with how servers work, but it seems to me like there shouldn't be a problem with this?

Also, if anyone is currently using a setup like this and has any feedback about how it works or about a remote hosting site to recommend, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Remote Hosting FM Server and IWP
          PointInSpace

Have a look at our services:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We've been providing professional FileMaker hosting for over 12 years.  No problem on cross-platform implementation, FileMaker works great for such.

You can access your databases via any and all combinations of FileMaker Network Sharing (FileMaker Pro), Instant Web Publishing, Custom Web Publishing and/or ODBC/JDBC.  All interfaces' data update immediately when changes are made.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

- John May