7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 2:24 PM by plummei

Remote open problem - files not showing

collarways

Title

Remote open problem - files not showing

Your post

We run FMS10 on a Mac, inhouse 3 Macs and 1 Windows XP machine connect successfully. Remotely we 1 Vista machine and one Mac, both worked fine. The Vista machine ran FM10 trial version for 4 weeks connecting to the open files via remote open without problems. Yesterday I upgraded to the licensed version and since then in remote open, when clicking on the server IP address, the open files do not shop up. 

The correct ports are open on the server. Connection is via VPN to get through the firewall of the router in front of the server. Like I say, it works on all machines, except for the one with the newly installed FM10 

Unfortunately, Windows is not my 'home territory' and the sales person using the laptop knows even less about her computer. FM10 was installed using the full install (no custom exceptions), but I wonder whether there is maybe a setting I forgot.

I'm at the point where I feel that maybe we just need to re-install FM10 on that client.  

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Remote open problem - files not showing
          TSGal

Collarways:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro uses port 5003 to share files across the network, so make sure this is open.

If you know the IP addresss of the host machine, go to "Open Remote..." and enter:

fmnet:/<IP address>/<filename.fp7>

This should open the database file.

When you "Open Remote...", how many IP addresses are listed?

Did you install a new copy of FileMaker Pro 10?  Or, did you just update the trial version?

Any additional information you can provide may help me narrow the possibilities. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Remote open problem - files not showing
            collarways

Thanks,

Yes, port 5003 is open

I'm not working on that client machine myself. But I will email the user to make sure they are entering the correct path. I have a suspicion they may have only used the IP address. So will report back on this as soon as I have a answer.

No, I did not update the trial version. I would have liked to but couldn't figure out how to do this in Vista. So I downloaded the full version, used the installer to uninstall the trial version and then installed the new version.

Gabriela 

• 3. Re: Remote open problem - files not showing
              TSGal

Collarways:

Thanks for the additional information.

Installing a new copy overwrites any preferences, and that includes any Favorite Hosts, etc.

Please continue to keep me updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Remote open problem - files not showing
                collarways

Hi,

I now have the PC in question in house. I've reinstalled Filemaker, and the machine is connected via the local network. As soon as I click Open remote it already shows two machines on the network, including the one with FM server, however, the files still don't show up. 

No problem from any of the other macs or PC on the system. Where else can I look to resolve it?

Thanks, Gabriela

• 5. Re: Remote open problem - files not showing
                  TSGal

Collarways:

Thanks for the additional information.

Do you have any kind of external authentication?  That may limit the files being displayed in Open Remote.

Also, you may have a corrupt server.pem file.  From one of the other PC systems that is running correctly, grab the server.pem file and copy it to the non-working PC.  The file is located:

My Computer -> <drive where applications is installed> -> Program Files -> FileMaker -> FileMaker Pro 10 -> server.pem

Relaunch FileMaker Pro and see if you can now see the files via Open Remote.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Remote open problem - files not showing
                    collarways

TSGal,

Copying the server.pem file from the working PC to the one that didn't connect did the trick.  Thanks for all your help. Problem solved!

Gabriela 

• 7. Re: Remote open problem - files not showing
                      plummei

I had same problem of only 1 computer could not see the available files but IP address was showing.

It turned out the file server.pem was corrupted!!!

Copy the server.pem from working computer into non-working computer solved the problem!!!!