5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 8:48 PM by philmodjunk

Run Filemaker Pro by Filemaker Server script

EricWong

Title

Run Filemaker Pro by Filemaker Server script

Your post

Hi:

I have a script which have a import function, so that this script can not run on filemaker server. So that I install a Filemaker Pro in the Filemaker server, But For security reason, my boss don't allow me to use windows task manager to start the filemaker pro. I try to the filemaker server os-level script to run a batch file / vbscript. But  filemake pro not run normally.

The following is my batch file

"C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe" "D:\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\data\import.fp7"

The Following is vbscript.

strProgramPath = """C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe"" ""D:\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\data\import.fp7"""

set objShell = createobject("Wscript.Shell")
      objShell.Run strProgramPath

I hope someone can help me! Thank a lot!

Eric Wong

• 1. Re: Run Filemaker Pro by Filemaker Server script
          philmodjunk

Out of curiosity what "security reason" was given for not using task manager?

Did you test your batch file and VBScripts by running them manually? Did they work?

It's been my experience that not all system scripts can be run from a server schedule. I ended up using windows task manager set up on the server to do something very similar to this, so I'm curious about what security reason for not doing it this way was given.

• 2. Re: Run Filemaker Pro by Filemaker Server script
            EricWong

Hi PhilModJunk:

The reason for not using task mangager:

1. The server is not only for filemaker server. So that any one can modify / delete task inside task manager (More people can access the server)

2. The server is in data center (remote site). Can not direct access in server (not allow remote desktop). Only way to access by using filemaker server admin console to change the schedule.

For above reason we can not using task manager.

I test both batch file & VBScripts by running them in task manager or double click is working fine.

I can see the filemaker pro.exe is running is task manager (by SYSTEM). keep running not do any script job.

Eric Wong

• 3. Re: Run Filemaker Pro by Filemaker Server script
              philmodjunk

You can set up TaskManager on one of your computers to run the robot file from a client machine. This avoids the access issues with the remote server, but does require that you establish decent security to control access to the client machine from which you run the robot file.

• 4. Re: Run Filemaker Pro by Filemaker Server script
                EricWong

Hi PhilModJunk:

Thank for your reply, but that is not work on my case, because the job need to run every day and more than 5 time perday. So if I using a desktop, if someone shutdown it will case a big problem.

Thank.

Eric Wong

• 5. Re: Run Filemaker Pro by Filemaker Server script
                  philmodjunk

Yep, you need to use a client machine in a physically secure location where you can insure that it is not shut down.