AnsweredAssumed Answered

running FMS on the cloud?

Question asked by cresal on Sep 15, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 by PointInSpace

Title

running FMS on the cloud?

Your post

Hi there.

I'm a relative newbie to FM and very newbie at web administration. So I'm sorry for my base level questions.

My company has moved onto a cloud system for mail, calendar, etc. but we have kept our inhouse server (Mac OS X Server v 10.5.8 w/ all necessary hardware) as file storage and to run FM Server (yes yes, i know FM likes a dedicated machine, but that's not an option at this small company). We have FM Pro on the office computers, and I've had no trouble at all getting it set up for all the office computers to access the database through FM Server. I haven't yet got it web hosting, but that's not my question here, just background.

Our IT guy (who is really the accountant, he just happens to have been put in charge of upkeep on the comptuers) asked if FM could be moved onto the cloud once we change services. He's looking at moving to Microsoft Office 365. Can FM be hosted by any cloud service? Is this something I could impliment myself if the database files were stored in the cloud? Would users still be able to connect remotely and have full functionality or would it be limited to what's capable through web hosting?

Again, sorry for the rudimentary questions. I've looked through previous posts here and elsewhere and have not found what I need.

Outcomes