9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 6:21 AM by mps1773

Running Server and Client on same machine

KevinSmith

Title

Running Server and Client on same machine

Your post

Hello

It's possible to run FileMaker Server 11 and FileMaker 11 on the same machine with the client accessing the files shared out by the server. I've been unable to find any documentation from FileMaker advising whether such a setup is good practice i.e. safe. 

Could you help me find authoratative advice on this configuration.

Thanks very much

Kevin Smith

• 1. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
          philmodjunk

As far as I know, it's "fairly" safe, but not recommended. It can slow down system performance and a live user sitting at the server increases the chance that some action of theirs might bog down or crash the machine which then affects everyone connected to your database and might damage a file if the server computer should crash.

I use windows task scheduler to open and run a filemaker Robot file to do tasks a scheduled script can't do. It works just fine and I avoid performance issues by scheduling it late at night when no one else is connected to the database.

• 2. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
            KevinSmith

Thanks Phil. So is there somewhere in the FileMaker Server 11 manual which says "Thou shalt on run a copy of FileMaker client on the FileMaker server."?

• 3. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
              philmodjunk

I don't know.

I'm quoting from past experience and communications with filemaker techs and others in the forums. I think I saw that in writing some time ago, but don't remember for sure that I did nor do I remember which version of filemaker I was working with at the time.

Please note that I do run filemaker on the server, it's very handy to have a copy installed there for quick fixes while a file is not being hosted by server and for my robot file--but I do so carefully...

• 4. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
                KevinSmith

Hi Phil

I remember from FileMaker 5 and 6 days that the recommendation was to have two boxes setup with remote access, the server itself and an extra drone machine running FileMaker Client. The drone machine could be used for quick fixes.

In practice, what I normally do is use my computer's copy of FileMaker client to login to the system over a VPN link. This approach works fairly well most of the time. If you're defining fields, editing scripts, editing layouts be careful, this can and does lead to file corruption.

Unfortunately there is a new setup that has such a flaky internet link that it's not going to be possible to login using my computer's copy of FileMaker client. And that's why I'm asking this question, to see if the official policy has shifted to allow running server and client on same machine concurrently.

regards Kevin

• 5. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
                  philmodjunk

All I can say is that "it works for me as but I'm careful not to do this when others are not using the machine".

• 6. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
                    Vincent_L

I do this everyday, running a robot client on the same server, it's the faster way to execute script (those that can't be server scripted) because you save a lot of network latency of course. 

• 7. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
                      philmodjunk

And I just noticed TSGal in another thread suggesting that the user launch filemaker on the server and to attempt connection to the hosted database as a way to rule out network issues. I don't think she'd recommend that if there were a significant risk to the file in doing this. It's mainly a possible performance hit issue that depends a lot on your system and users as to whether it'll be a problem or not.

Making design changes to a filemaker database while it is being used by others is risky whether you are on the server or a client machine as changes to field and table definitions will briefly lock the tables when you dismiss manage database and apply the changes. This lock can keep scripts being peformed by others from correctly modifying data.

• 8. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
                        KevinSmith

Thanks to both of you for the reassurance. Things have obviously moved on since earlier versions and it's clear that the documentation does not forbid it such a setup. Thanks too for the pointers on doing it safely.

• 9. Re: Running Server and Client on same machine
                          mps1773

We have FMP on the same machine as FMS (both the latest version) and FMP runs a "robot" continuously with one of the schedules activating every three minutes.  We have 43 databases and an average of 25 clients accessing the server.  I have seen no instability issues or performance hits from this use with our current load.