3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2014 10:35 AM by wendy

Safely shutdown FMS on a Mac with APC Battery Backup

JohnNiebler

Title

Safely shutdown FMS on a Mac with APC Battery Backup

Your post

Hello all,

I have a Mac Mini with OS 10.8.  I'm putting an APC Battery Backup on the server.  I'd like to know how to safely stop FMS when the UPS triggers a shutdown of the Mac because of low battery.

Thanks,

-John

• 1. Re: Safely shutdown FMS on a Mac with APC Battery Backup

John Niebler:

Thank you for the post.

If a shut down signal is sent to the operating system, then FileMaker Server will slow the shutdown process to properly close the hosted files and stop the processes.

This process can be observed in the FileMaker Server event.log. Below I have attached a screenshot of my event.log showing the process that took place the last time I clicked  > Shut Down… to power off my computer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Safely shutdown FMS on a Mac with APC Battery Backup
            wendy

We have an older APC battery. We have the same situation with an iMac, and worried about power outages when no one is around. I contacted APC to ask about upgrading to a new battery and using their PowerChute software. The response from Mouna Podnolana:  Unfortunately at this time there is no APC software which is officially compatible with MAC software.

How does one get the battery to signal to the iMac that there has been an outage and the Filemaker server needs to shut down before the battery dies? What are others doing?

• 3. Re: Safely shutdown FMS on a Mac with APC Battery Backup
              wendy

I just obtained a PDF guide from APC on how to set the Mac Energy Saver settings to allow the Mac to shut down at a designated time after the battery kicks in. (FYI to anyone reading: You need a data cable from battery to the Mac. Energy Saver then shows UPS options.  Also FYI, APC first told me that they had no software that would work with a Mac, but this Energy Saver process makes extra software unnecessary.)

True to TSFalcon's reply, a shell script to communicate with Filemaker Server is unnecessary.

I tested the Energy Saver settings last night with a sample database and our APC battery, and it worked exactly as outlined. The event log showed the clean closing of the database and the shutdown of the server software and then the Mac itself without a hitch.

At this point:  OS 10.6.4 and FMS11. Moving soon to Mavericks and FMS13.

This is awesome. My thanks to both APC and Filemaker.