6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 9:15 AM by jessicar

Save as PDF via server scriting

NathanVeitch

Title

Save as PDF via server scriting

Your post

Hi there,

I need to find out the reason why Save as PDF is not allowed with server side scripting? I have a client that i have just upgrade from FM 11 to FM 12 and we were able to convince him to purchase server and host the file from there. In his orginal program he had a script that sent reports via PDF every half an hour and wants to know why he cant schedule that script to run from the server.

I have been trying to come up with a reason why the Save as PDF is not allowed, and the reason 'cause it is not allowed' doesn't seem to sit well. I need to know what to tell my client :( There has to be a proper reason why server can't run that step. I'm jsut at a loss as to why :$ 

• 1. Re: Save as PDF via server scriting
          JonathanGourd

Without having coded the server I am not sure why. The short answer is that the code for making a PDF is only in the client. What you really need is to give the guy a work-around so that he has the functionality he had prior to upgrading and moving to the server.

I take it, his DB has that script step and the reason you went with server was that it could run scripts on a schedule. So set up a client on the server machine (hopefully it's in the data center and it isn't someone's workstaion). Then, run a scheduled macro that runs the FMPro script. It will cost a client license which I am sure you don't want to hear but if that is the cost of saving face with the client then so be it, next time fully research a solution before spending a client's money.

• 2. Re: Save as PDF via server scriting
            arronlee

How about saving as PDF with the help of some professional PDF toolkits? I am testing about the related programs these days. You can also google it and select one whose way of processing is simple and fast to help you with the related work.  It will be better if it is totally manual and can be customized by users according to our own favors. Remember to check its free trial package first if possible. I hope you success. Good luck.

Best regards,
                 Arron

• 3. Re: Save as PDF via server scriting
              tdignan

Because FMI has not licensed the rights from Adobe for FMS we are forced to use work arounds.  I've have used two.

1. Scribe from 360works will work with server.  http://www.360works.com/filemaker-pdf-plugin/.  You create a PDF with merge fields as a template.  Then you upload the template to a container field.  Then you run server side script to export the template and replace the merge fields with your text using the Scribe plugin, then you email it.

2. You install FileMaker Pro on your server.  Create apple scripts apps or bat files to run the script you want.  Then use iCal or Windows scheduler to run when we determine.

I hope this helps.

Todd Dignan

• 4. Re: Save as PDF via server scriting
                jessicar

I need verify whether or not I'm understanding one of these solution theories.

Is the idea to have the file open and logged in at all times from the server, just like an employee would from their desktop, then use the System Level Scheduler to complete the script, also just like an employee would from their desktop?

If that's correct, am I correct to think I could do the same on my own desktop instead of the server desktop - leave my connection open and logged in overnight, and create a system level schedule that wakes up and performs at night? The whole idea isn't clicking for me like it usually does, so I just want to ask for possibly clarification before proceeding.

Thank You for any assistance,

• 5. Re: Save as PDF via server scriting
                  tdignan

Hi Jessica,

You are correct, you can do what you're suggesting.  The reason I like to use the server, is because I do not need to involve my computer and worry if things kicked off correctly or not. There just more stability in using the server.  Let me know if you need help setting it up.

• 6. Re: Save as PDF via server scriting
                    jessicar

OK, I should be able to take it from here then. I'll definitely be back if I have any more questions.  Thank You!