8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 4:21 PM by AjEGfmTech

Schedule Database to Open and Close

macmanifest

Title

Schedule Database to Open and Close

Your post

Greetings,

I've been looking into having FileMaker Server open and close a hosted database at certain times of the day. Is that even possible?

Regards,

• 1. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
          philmodjunk

Not as far as I can tell. Why would you need to do this? (Maybe there's an alternative approach that does not require closing the file...)

• 2. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
            macmanifest

We're find that if you leave a hosted file open more than 24 hours it starts to act flakey. We wanted to schedule a database to open and close at certains times of the time. Say for example, close at 10 PM and re-open at 8 AM.

• 3. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
              philmodjunk

Out of curiosity,

what OS is on the server?

What are you hosting? (DB for FileMaker clients, IWP hosting, Custom web publishing.....)

We have FileMaker Server 10 installed on two servers. We have a windows server 2003 server that just runs 24/7 with no issues. We only shut down/restart to apply windows system updates.

We have a server 2008 system that runs pretty solid, but periodically experiences the "deaf server" bug first identified with server 10. When this happens, we restart and all is well till the next time which could be the next day or it could run for weeks/months without going deaf. Access to the db from FileMaker clients is not affected. Only server schedules fail to run until we restart.

• 4. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
                macmanifest

We're running FileMaker 11 Server on an X-Server running 10.6.8 Server. Server runs rock-solid, no crashes. Users authenticate off a Open Directory Server.

• 5. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
                  Markus Schneider

FMServer should run 'rocksolid' - although I don't use Open Directory, but our server runs 24/7 without db-close

For scripting 'close', shell scripts with the fmsadmin - commands could be the solution, scripts that run by the OS scheduler

• 6. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
                    tedmather

Did you find a solution? I have the same request, but for a different reason. FM Server does not have the ability to backup to Dropbox, so I need to shut all the databases down, then backup the file to Dropbox, then re-open the databases. Files are hosted on a RAID drive and a separate backup drive, but we have no offsite storage. FM server schedules have no option for scheduled close and open (arg!!). I've seen suggestions for Shell commands, but that's way too technical for us!

• 7. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
                      macmanifest

No. Never found a solution. We're looking into scripting the database client to open and close the database.

• 8. Re: Schedule Database to Open and Close
                        AjEGfmTech

Has anyone found a solution for this? It seems like with FM Server 13, under 'Schedules' in Admin Console, it should just be a matter of creating a FileMaker script that would close the selected database(s) and then a separate script that could be scheduled to open them again. Am I thinking too simplistically, or is that all that should be involved in doing that?

I would like to do this for a similar reason as Ted above. I want the databases to close during the evening so that I can use CarbonCopyCloner to clone our MacMini server drive. I am presuming that leaving FM Server running is fine, just that all databases should be closed at the time.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.