4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2008 10:11 AM by dykchi

Scheduling a script to run daily on Filemaker Server

AJN

Title

Scheduling a script to run daily on Filemaker Server

Your post

I have a large database in Filemaker Server.  I need to schedule and run a script to collect a subset of the data and export it.

How do I organise that? The script itself is not the issue, but the daily scheduling of its execution.

Thanks

AJN

• 1. Re: Scheduling a script to run daily on Filemaker Server
          Jens Teich
             This is not possible with the current version 9. Server side scripts are restricted to script steps which are web compatible. Export data is not web compatible.

You need a client running all the time which triggers the script.

Jens

• 2. Re: Scheduling a script to run daily on Filemaker Server
            AJN

Thanks Jens.  Te next question is whether a client and server can run simultaneously on the same host. This would be my preference to manage security concerns.

AJN

• 3. Re: Scheduling a script to run daily on Filemaker Server
              Jens Teich
                 I'm not sure wether this is possible with actual versions. But it is anyway very bad practice. You need different machines for server and client.

Jens
              • 4. Re: Scheduling a script to run daily on Filemaker Server
                dykchi

Separate machines will be ideal but I have used the following method, running FileMaker client and server on a server machine (virtual actually.) My users are on network machines.

The server machine has a small FileMaker database program (A) which runs a script on startup. This script simply calls another script in the main database (B) that is running off the FileMaker server. I then scheduled a task using the Windows Control Panel>Scheduled Tasks to start program A on a schedule. When the time comes, it launches FileMaker locally on the server to run Program A. Program A executes the script in Program B. Oh...Program A runs the script and then uses "Quit Application" as a last step so the FileMaker client program closes after each run.

This is how I got around not being able to schedule scripts within a FileMaker database. Hope this helps.