5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 12:15 PM by DarrenDalglish

Search and replace in instant web publishing

DarrenDalglish

Title

Search and replace in instant web publishing

Your post

Can you use  Search and replace via a web browser in instant web publishing?

Regards

Darren.

• 1. Re: Search and replace in instant web publishing
          philmodjunk

What you describe sounds like something that should be possible by performing a script.

Can you explain in more detail what you want to do?

• 2. Re: Search and replace in instant web publishing

Darren Dalglish:

Thank you for the post.

To determine whether a script is compatible with Instant Web Publishing, change the "Show Compatibility" drop-down in the Manage Scripts dialog to "Instant Web Publishing" and incompatible scripts steps will become grayed out. See the screenshot below.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Search and replace in instant web publishing
              DarrenDalglish

Hi,

In one field in all my records I have the same information.  In my desktop version of Filemaker I change this information  for all records once a  month, by  going to 'records' on the file  menu, and selecting  'Replace  field contents'  which replaces  the information  across   all records in that particular field.  I now wish to do this via a web browser with instant web publishing, but research suggests this cannot be done via a browser.  I do not wish to pay for Filemaker Pro Server Advanced if it cannot do this.  

Thanks

Darren

• 4. Re: Search and replace in instant web publishing
                philmodjunk

In one field in all my records I have the same information.

The Replace Field Contents script step is IWP compatible as long as you use the "No dialog" option. You can enter the new data into a field with global storage specified and then a script can use Replace Field Contents with the calculation option to update the records in your table even through a web browser.

BUT:

If you put that data in a separate table and use a script to  copy it to a global field each time that the file opens, you can remove that field from your current table and not have to modify the value in more than one record for both FileMaker Pro and Instant Web Publishing.

There are also ways to set up a relationship so that such data is in a single record of a related table and accessible from all or many records in your current table.

• 5. Re: Search and replace in instant web publishing
                  DarrenDalglish

Thanks, that is most helpful.

Cheers

Darren