3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 4:59 PM by philmodjunk

Security account sign on issues

juliafanghella

Title

Security account sign on issues

Your post

I have set up a 4-tier sign on for our 10-license server. When the accounts were first set up, all server locations worked on all accounts. Now, one location automatically signs on, does not ask for a username or password, and has no ability to search or sort (which it should, according to the permissions).

We tried upgrading the older version (11.0v1 to 11.0v4), but it was not recognized. Also, strange that the older version is the only one that allows the search and sort. We tried adding new accounts (with the same and similar permissions), but still no dice. Is this a common error? Is it possible that another location (where the server is hosted) has messed with some type of security to which we are not granted access?

Any and all feedback is very much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Security account sign on issues
          philmodjunk

Now, one location automatically signs on, does not ask for a username or password,

There are two possible reasons for the automatic sign on:

On mac systems, keychain can be set up to make the log on automatic. I'm not a mac user so if that's the issue, I can't offer much beyond what I have just posted.

On both systems, File Optoins in the Filemaker file can be configured to auto-enter an account name and password for you. If this is the case, you can hold down the shift key on windows or the option key on Macs while opening the file and you'll get the standard log in dialog.

and has no ability to search or sort

Check your privilege set options and see if "minimal" is selected for "available menu commands". IF so, try selecting a less restrictive option in this drop down and see if that corrects this part of the problem.

Upgrading to 11.04 or not should not have any effect on this issue, but you also should have no trouble doing the upgrade. I suggest making a post about that issue where you identify your operating system and report any error messages that appear when you attempt to install the update. If you are a Mac user, make sure that spotlight is enabled and that it has indexed the hard drive where you have the application installed. The updater relies on this being the case in order to find the original application file.

• 2. Re: Security account sign on issues
            juliafanghella

Thanks, PhilModJunk. The automatic sign-on was helpful!

As for the privelege sets-- they are very lenient in what they permit, but still *nothing* from the top toolbar is accessible. The account can neither toggle through records, Show All, New/Delete Record, Find or Sort Records. According to the privelege sets (organized into two tiers, 1 set up by layout restrictions, and the other organized by field restrictions), there should be full access to mostly every field that is browse-able. Is this an error caused by the server permissions, or just a glitch that has happened recently?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Security account sign on issues
              philmodjunk

Did you check this?

Check your privilege set options and see if "minimal" is selected for "available menu commands". IF so, try selecting a less restrictive option in this drop down and see if that corrects this part of the problem.

This is the most common cause of keyboard shortcuts and toolbar buttons not working.