4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 2:40 PM by txgeekgirl

Security issues FileMaker 7 Server/ FM Pro

txgeekgirl

Title

Security issues FileMaker 7 Server/ FM Pro

Your post

I have inherited the maintenance of a DB kept on an instance of FM7 Server accessible through terminal services by FM Pro on another server.

The Issue:

Last week we installed our blade server where the moving of our big rack did a hard shut down of all servers.  The FM stuff did not come back on the way it should have on reboot. I finally found the Admin panel and restarted the instance.

On login, our EU logs in to TS to access the server, then FM wants a password. I have had them try 4 times and let it fail. Go to File/Open Remote choose the pathway to the server and choose OpenTask where it asks for the DB password.  They can get it.

I need to know where in FM Server or Pro the access point is for the area where they have to let it fail four times and then Open Remote.  It use to go automatically.  I am guessing off the TS login to that server.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. 

Also, I would love to know how to disect the structure of this DB as I would love to recreate in SQL

• 1. Re: Security issues FileMaker 7 Server/ FM Pro
          TSGal

txgeekgirl:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

When you log into Terminal Services, it sounds like it is trying to access the original server.  The fact that the user can access the file through Open Remote leads me in that direction.  Has the IP address changed?  Was there any authentication occurring?  Was it opening a file that is trying to access the file at a specific IP address?  This is what I'm trying to decipher when someone logs into Terminal Services.

If you have already found a solution, please let us know, just in case other users run into the same situation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Security issues FileMaker 7 Server/ FM Pro
            philmodjunk

"Also, I would love to know how to disect the structure of this DB as I would love to recreate in SQL"

I don't have a copy of Filemaker 7 to test this, but I think it was the first version where you used a relationship graph, similar the the relationships form you can create in MS Access, to create/modify the relationships. See if you have an option called Manage | Database in the file menu. If so, you should be able to pull up an ER diagram that would help you analyze the structure.

If FMP 7 does not have this feature, you could download a trial copy of Filemaker 10 and use it to open a copy of your database file(s). The resulting graph in Manage | Database | Relationships should give you a pretty decent picture of how the database is structured.

• 3. Re: Security issues FileMaker 7 Server/ FM Pro
              txgeekgirl

I have it working - not fantastically, but working.  I had to have the user bypass a lot of the useless login screens and found out that the 4th login is the actual FM instance login. 

That being said, I think we are going to just rebuild the entire DB and from scratch in VB.net. This particular program came from someone who threw it together some 5 years ago, it has no support and we can make no significant program changes. 

Thank you for your response.

• 4. Re: Security issues FileMaker 7 Server/ FM Pro
                txgeekgirl

Thanks for the tip.  We have a VB.net programmer organizing the structure based off the FM DB.  He can throw together the interface and I will work on SQL and hopefully by Spring we have a new DB.

I am by no way dissing FM - it just doesn't fit well into our desired needs and I don't want to have to learn a new application. All of our other in-house programs are VB, Foxpro, or Access.