5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 11:26 AM by BrettWhistler

Security options for FM Server to FM Go clients

BrettWhistler

Title

Security options for FM Server to FM Go clients

Your post

I apologize for what is a NOOB question.

I've set up my FMP Server on a Mac Mini.  I only have a single database.  I've set up my port forwarding and static IP so I can access it remotely with FM Go.  Everything is working as expected.

I've set up myself as the sole user on the account...with a full access privilege set.  When I log into FM Go (let's say for the first time), I enter my servers IP address, which then gives me my list of available databases.  I click on the database I want to access, and I'm then prompted for my credentials.

My question is...is this best practice?  If not...suggestions please.

My idea of a best use scenario would be:

1. Enter my server IP address in FM Go
           2. Be prompted for credentials to access server
           3. These credentials are stored in FM Go...so I don't have to enter them again.
           4. Have access to the databases on that server without having to enter additonal credentials.

Is this 'best use' possible?  Or even plausible?

Thanks...Brett

• 1. Re: Security options for FM Server to FM Go clients
          philmodjunk

What you describe is how FM GO and Server was intended to work. You could set up an "opener" file in FM GO (at least I've done this in Pro and see no reason why the same method won't work in GO.) The file can use file options to open itself with a specified account and password. A script that runs automatically when the file opens can use Open File to open the hosted file. This should not result in being asked for a password to access the hosted file. But also keep in mind that this reduces your security as anyone with access to your phone will also have access to the database.

• 2. Re: Security options for FM Server to FM Go clients
            BrettWhistler

Thank you @PhilModJunk.  My data for this particular database is specific but extremely non-sensitive.  If somebody got ahold of my iOS device, even if they knew what they were looking at, it wouldn't do them any good...or the data any harm.  I would immediately shut down my server to prevent data loss or corruption.  Plus...I have a good backup system in place.

I follow the idea of what you're suggesting for this "opener" file, but I have no idea where to even begin.  Would it be possible to walk me through it?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Security options for FM Server to FM Go clients
              philmodjunk

You'd need to test this on a FileMaker Pro client and then copy it over to the iOS device.

Create this one line script:

Open File

When you select the file to open, select the open remote option and select the file to open just like you do manually through open remote. This will create an external data source reference to the hosted file to use with this script step.

In Manage | Security, define exactly the same account name and password. Keep in mind that passwords are case sensitive.

In file options, set up this file to open itself with the defined account name and password.

Use the OnFirstWindowOpen trigger in File Options to perform the Open File script.

• 4. Re: Security options for FM Server to FM Go clients
                BrettWhistler

Thanks...I'll work on it.  It might take awhile for me to figure out...put persistence pays off! :)

• 5. Re: Security options for FM Server to FM Go clients
                  BrettWhistler

Another security question...currently if I enter my FMS IP address (remotely or locally) in FM Go, it immediately opens and lists my available databases.  Is there a way to set up credentials for the server itself?