6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2009 10:53 PM by phamho

send mail and Instant Web Publishing

phamho

Title

send mail and Instant Web Publishing

Your post

I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 10 to develop a database which will later be hosted with FileMaker Server 10.With Indicate web compatibility box checked, Send Mail seems available but it does nothing when accessed via IWP (works fine if accessed with FMP client).

Please advise if there is a work around

Thanks

Pham

• 1. Re: send mail and Instant Web Publishing
          TSGal

phamho:

Thank you for your post.

"Send Mail" script step does work via IWP only when you are sending to an SMTP server.  It is not compatible with an Email client program.

What SMTP are you sending to?  Is there anything written in the Server logs?  Anything else you can provide may help me determine the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: send mail and Instant Web Publishing
            phamho

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your reply.

The Send Mail function is used for any web user to send a feed back (NOT for me to send out emails)

I did look at SMTP Options but the USER/SENDER's User & Server information will vary.

Hope you can help.

Pham

• 3. Re: send mail and Instant Web Publishing
              TSGal

phamho:

Thank you for some clarification.

If you want feedback from users, you can have them use the SMTP server that you use, and use the Account Name as the sender information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: send mail and Instant Web Publishing
                phamho

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your reply.

I will try using the SMTP server that we use and the Account Name as the sender information.

But then to acknowledge that the feedback had been received or answer any question, do I ask the user to specify his/her email in the body of the email?

Regards

Pham

• 5. Re: send mail and Instant Web Publishing
                  TSGal

phambo:

However you receive the feedback is up to you.  If you want them to reply with the email address in the message area, then have them put it there.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: send mail and Instant Web Publishing
                    phamho

Hi TSGal,

Thanks again for your reply.

However, instead of sending the USER'S feedback using MY SMTP server, MY user name/email, I added the feedback table to store the user's name, email address, subject(calculated as "Feedback - record ID" & recordID) and the body of the message, date/time created, date/time forwarded to My email. Then with FMP Client or Server, run a scheduled script at the defined interval to forward to MY email the new feedback records created in that interval so I can response to the users.

I wonder if there is a better work around solution.

Regards

Pham Ho