8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2010 12:52 AM by billaia

Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?

SergeBerney-KinSA

Title

Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?

Your post

Hello !

With FM v10, I made a simple application with a unique button with a script : "Sendmail with SMTP..."

* From a client (v10 adv), script is working and email is sent and received

* Through IWP, script isn't working (IWP on server or on a v10 adv pro client)...

It is write that Sending mail throug SMTP on IWP is supported... so ?

Thanks for informations !!!

• 1. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
          TSGal

Serge Berney - Kin SA:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Send Mail via SMTP is definitely supported with Instant Web Publishing.

Are the client and Instant Web Publishing performing the Send Mail script on the same machine?  That is, launch a browser on the client machine and execute the script.  Does this work?

This information is necessary before I can proceed further.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
            SergeBerney-KinSA

Here's the try I did :

Run IWP on server and try to send email through browser's client from a remote computer => Not working

Run IWP on a Adv client and reach IWP with the same computer browser => Not working

I didn't try to run IPW on the server with the server's browser...

By the way, sending email with FM client is working (so the problem isn't SMTP related).

Thanks for answer !

Serge

Kin SA

• 3. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
              TSGal

Serge Berney - Kin SA:

Thank you for the information.

Try the following:

1. With FileMaker Pro Advanced, pull down the File menu and select "Send Mail".  Use SMTP server and see if you are able to send an email to your personal email address.

2. Create a script that performs the same actions as you did above.  Make a button on your layout that attaches to this script.  Enter Browse Mode and click the button to test.

3. Launch a browser on the same machine.  Enter the IP address and access the file via Instant Web Publishing.  Click the button.  This should work.

4. Go to another machine and access the file via Instant Web Publishing.  Click the button.  This should work.

Let me know if any of the above steps fail.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
                SergeBerney-KinSA

1&2) Sending email with Client is working (direct or through script)

3) IWP on the same machine : not working

4) IWP accessed on from a different computer : not working

• 5. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
                  TSGal

Serge Berney - Kin SA:

I definitely want to see your database file, because accessing the script from FileMaker Pro and Browser on same machine (Internet Explorer 8, Firefox, Safari on Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.2) works correctly for me.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
                    TSGal

Serge Berney - Kin SA:

I received your file, and I was unable to make it work since connection to your smtp server was disallowed.  I then created a script for our internal SMTP server, and when that worked via script and via Instant Web Publishing, I changed your original script and added my own contents.  I'm sure you will see several emails that were sent to you.

Since this is working on my machine with my browser, I would advise uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro 10.  Then, open your file and make sure you can access the file locally through Instant Web Publishing and try first without any authentication, and then with authentication.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
                      SergeBerney-KinSA

I received all your test email.

Strange things is that this happend on 2 differents sites : on our client side and on our side.

Our client is working without authentication on SMTP and we are working with... and on both side, this is not working on different SMTP server.

FileMaker Adv was installed from scratch, and updated well...

I understand that you can't find the problem if it's working for you... I'll continue my investigation.

• 8. Re: Sending mail with SMTP isn't working with IWP !?!?
                        billaia

I am having same problem with FileMaker 11 Pro Advanced as I am sure others are also.  I suggest FileMaker study this issue and provide a working update solution.  In addition, sending via "E-mail Client also does not work in IWP on a FileMaker Server.  Another disappointment.  I am about to turn down a large consultation project where email from the database was a central piece.  I took the project because I read your marketing material on IWP and email and have about 20 years experience with FileMaker.  There seems to be third party plug-ins that may work, but I am still disappointed that it does not work as advertised in FileMaker.