1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 7:33 PM by FluffyBear

Sequelink ODBC 5.5 - Queries work but extremely slow

uemtux

Title

Sequelink ODBC 5.5 - Queries work but extremely slow

Your post

Hi all,

I have FileMaker Server 9 running (under Max OS X Server 10.5.5), sharing a database via FM and ODBC.

On a Windows PC, I have the Sequelink ODBC 5.5 driver installed, and my system DSN is configured and works fine.

The driver seems to take a really long time to run any query. 

This query:
      SELECT * FROM Shipment WHERE REFERENCE1='18281'

returns only 1 record, but my hard drive's grinding away and my client application is hung for a good solid minute before the data appears in it... 

I managed to improve the speed somewhat (down to 6-15 seconds per query) by SELECTing the 47 individual fields (out of 138 in the table) I wanted for the query instead of using the * wildcard.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the speed? I need to get the query response time down to 1 second...

Interestingly, the app doing the querying starts allocating huge amounts of memory (like 400mb)  for each query. I'm pretty sure this is the driver though, and not the app itself behaving badly.

Hope someone can help me, I'm kinda at the end of my rope here.

• 1. Re: Sequelink ODBC 5.5 - Queries work but extremely slow
          FluffyBear

Fields that require calculations or linking between tables and files will generally process quite a bit slower than just raw data.  The number of fields returned will also impact performance a bit as you've seen.   Checked that you have the key you called reference1 indexed.

Just curious, how many rows do you have that your app is even allocating 400MB?  And is this a custom app you're writing that interface with the ODBC API?  It gotta really really do something funky to allocate that much memory if you're executing something returning 1 row.