4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 8:04 PM by JCrawford

Server 11 Admin Console Won't Launch, XP Issue?

JCrawford

Title

Server 11 Admin Console Won't Launch, XP Issue?

Your post

Hello

I've read most of the threads about Server 9 and Java Version 6 Update 24, as well as this link with recommendations for Server 10 and Server 11. Helpful, but did not solve the problem. 

Server 11 was updated from Server 9 to Server 11 this past fall. The database administrator is operating XP and had very old Java settings (Version 6.01). She was not informed of a new Admin Console pathway at the time of the Server update, and was not given a new shortcut, or informed of a change in the password. She could not launch the Admin Console. Admin Console previously launched on the same computer when operating Server 9.

To correct these matters

1. She obtained the correct password (however we have not seen the user/pw screen yet)
      2. Java was updated to Version 6.30
      3. Server 11 is fully updated.
      4. She received a new file path and shortcut icon to the Admin Console.
      5. We cleared her Java cache of temporary and internet files.
      6. We tried logging on the server using http://hostname:1600 where host name is the server url

When trying to launch we get "Unable to Launch" error message with details that read "Could not load argument exception [Could not load file/URL specified" followed by a file pathway. When that pathway is selected it produces the screen shot below, titled JAVA Web Start 1.6.0_30 describing run options, control option, and import options.

I wonder if the old XP software might be an additional incompatibility.

We have not tried to reinstall the Server software.

I don't normally work with servers and have no formal training in FM server or servers in general. I design databases - but my client can't connect.  I am at loss of what more to recommend.

Many thanks for leading me to the proper discussions.

java_message.jpg

• 1. Re: Server 11 Admin Console Won't Launch, XP Issue?
          philmodjunk

Have you tried setting up remote desktop access to the server and using that method to launch the server console directly on the server?

I prefer that approach myself as I sometimes need to work with scheduled tasks, VB scripts or restart the server as well as work with the admin console.

• 2. Re: Server 11 Admin Console Won't Launch, XP Issue?
            JCrawford

Thanks Phil.

I want to make sure I understand.

The MIS Technician (who helped us) accessed the server remotely from his office. He obtained a new file path for the Admin Console, logged onto my Cient's office computer, and pasted a shortcut onto her desktop. When she clicked the java shortcut, Admin Console did not launch.

Are you saying my client should directly access the server from HER remote computer to launch Admin Console and bypass the JAVA script on her desktop altogether?

Sorry, I am not savvy on servers.

Jami

• 3. Re: Server 11 Admin Console Won't Launch, XP Issue?
              philmodjunk

I'm not saying "should". I'm suggesting a work around.

It's an option that gives you access to more than just the things you can do with the admin console. This may not be something MIS wants to permit, but if they do permit it, it avoids the possible issues with the XP client using server admin--which should work, but doesn't in your case.

• 4. Re: Server 11 Admin Console Won't Launch, XP Issue?
                JCrawford

Thank you again.

Apparently MIS won't permit my client's access to the FileMaker Server, but they are now interested in managing the Admin Console themselves, as they perform the other server functions you mention. If they can get Admin Console to launch and my client can't, and they are willing to perform the Admin Console functions, specifically to upload the new database, then I have a work around.

Which is usually enough.

Again many thanks and happy new year!