7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 1:03 AM by willrollo

server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

Title

server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

Your post

As desc points out - for some reason, my server isnt distributing my db. I use a Mac Mini with server 12 adv running. I am only using at to test at the moment as DB unfinished. I stopped/tremoved the db this morning on the server admin console and uploaded my latest version. Now ont he clients, although there is detection of the host server, the availble files box remains empty - no idea why though..

• 1. Re: server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

will rollo:

Thank you for the post.

FileMaker Pro uses TCP port number 5003 to share databases. If the port is blocked on the client or the host, then the client machine will not see any hosted files listed in the open remote dialog. Make sure that TCP port number 5003 is not blocked by a firewall or other third party software such as antivirus. 

If TCP port number 5003 is open between the computers trying to connect, then the following articles will provide additional troubleshooting steps:

Cannot see hosted database

Troubleshooting FileMaker Network Sharing in FileMaker Pro

Why am I unable to host my FileMaker database?

If any of the above needs further clarification, please let me know.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

Thank you  - I had tried those steps before my original post. Have gone throiugh them again anyway but with no success.

What is odd is that the database was working from several PCs and Macs until I updated the verion of the database on the server with Server 12. 

I am not sure how to check the port settings on the mac  - firewall is open to FM and also the FMserver user is present in mac osx server app. As the database is embedded in FM server, I wasnt sure how to check it is open to sharing.

Should I have FM 12 adv   also running on the server and set the FM Network to on?

I dont use web piublishing or anything - just a simple shared databse with 5 users from Mac server with FM12 Server....

Thank you

• 3. Re: server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

will rollo:

Thank you for the reply.

The most likley factors follow:

1. Port 5003 is open (Network Utility.app on Mac OS X can do a port scan for open ports).
                   2. The database is Open on the FileMaker Server (indicated in the Admin Console under the Databases pane).

3. The account trying to access the file has the FileMaker Network Sharing (fmapp) Extended Privilege enabled.

Installing FileMaker Pro 12 (Advanced) to the same computer as FileMaker Server 12 Advanced is not necessary but could be used as a troubleshooting step to see if the file can be opened locally on the FileMaker Server. If any of this needs further clarification, please contact Technical Support.

FileMaker Network Sharing is a free standard support topic through FileMaker's Technical Support.

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact Technical Support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

Sorted   - thank you. For some reason the privelages were switched off...

• 5. Re: server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

Tried again this morning and same problem , so wasnt what i thought - However, I created a new blank DB and uploaded this to the server. This showed up on the remote computers no problem. I compared all the settings between the two databases (security/share options etc) and they are the same - so odd why it the main DB still doesnt show - However, If I type the db name manually (in the Open remote screen) after the IP address of the server, then it opens fine...?

Any ideas?

Thank you 

• 6. Re: server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

will rollo:

Thank you for the reply.

Is the option for "Don't display in Open Remote File dialog" checked or unchecked?

File > Sharing > FileMaker Network…

See screenshot below.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: server 12 adv no longer displays db in remote

That was it   - thank you!