1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 12, 2014 12:16 PM by disabled_ntaylor

Server 13 wont preview PDF containers

stladmin

Title

Server 13 wont preview PDF containers

Your post

We recently updated our server from FileMaker Server 12 to 13. We have one database with a container field where users can upload and preview PDF files. After the upgrade, the user can no longer preview the PDF files and the Insert PDF option in the context menu is greyed out. In the preview window, users just see "Server Error. 404 - File or directory not found", however they can still right click and export the file (with contents intact).

I double checked and the field is still set as 'Interactive Content.'

I'm still running the 12 server as a backup and when users connect to that one they can preview the PDFs without issue. Users are using a mix of FileMaker Pro 12 and 13, with the same success/fail messages. It's got to be something on the server end but I don't know what.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Server 13 wont preview PDF containers

Sam Admin:

Thank you for the post and I apologize for the delay.

"We recently updated our server from FileMaker Server 12 to 13."

The port used for steaming Interactive Content changed with FileMaker Server 13 from the port used for FileMaker Server 12.

FileMaker Server 12 used port 16000 "to progressively download content for FileMaker Pro/Web clients."

FileMaker Server 13 uses ports 80 and 443 for "Progressive downloading of container data to all clients" and for "inserting data in externally stored container fields from all clients."

As a test, eliminate the network by installing FileMaker Pro 13 on the FileMaker Server 13 computer. Create a New Record > Right-click on the container field > Insert.

If the contextual menu is available on the server, and the content displays as interactive after inserting the image when viewed from the local FileMaker Pro client, then one or both ports are most likely blocked for the external clients.

FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Server 12 Advanced port numbers

What are the port numbers used by FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Server 12 Advanced?

Ports used by FileMaker Server 13

Please let me know if any of the above requires additional clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.