AnsweredAssumed Answered

server hosting

Question asked by pv on Mar 10, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 by PointInSpace

Title

server hosting

Your post

Using fm 11 adv on windows (xp, vista, 7) network with 8 computers.

My need

running a swim/tennis club & day camp, need to keep track of 400 + members & 300 camp kids, plus this year using IWP to let members register online (about 1 in 18 have some problem with connecting, though most work if they try later or on another computer). Also would like to create a POS system for the pool concession stand, (100-200 items for sale, 50-500 sales/day for the 100 days of summer).

My current Fm setup

My fm file consists of a data file (about 2000kb) and will grow to about 7000kb if I cant figure a way to store photos as a reference after using 360 works Move or rename file to move/rename file to photos directory) and my application file is about 6000kb. I am using a windows xp desktop computer to host fm. Noone else uses that computer for anything. I am on Fios 35/35

I have been fighting going the server way beacuse of the $5000 investment (server $1,500, windows 8 server software $800, fm server adv $3,000).

I came across pointinspace.com & it looks interesting., more reliable than a server I would have sitting in the next room, faster & cheaper.??

Any thoughts on which route to take, and if my own server, from Hp, Dell, other?, a web server, data server, combo? when is fm 12 coming out? I would hate to buy it 2 months before a new version comes out.

Thanks for any input

Frank

Outcomes