3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 1:24 PM by RickWhitelaw

Server Hourly backups

RickWhitelaw

Title

Server Hourly backups

Your post

Today I had occasion, for the first time ever, to avail myself of a backup from an hour or two before. I looked up the proper procedure and went to find a backup. The last hourly or daily backup was from over two weeks ago! The scheduled backups are set up correctly and enabled. When I check the hourly schedule it says the next one will occur an hour after the last one etc. Anyone have any idea what's up with this? I've also closed all the files and restarted the server machine. No change. This is FMS 14 by the way.

• 1. Re: Server Hourly backups
          RickWhitelaw

As I think about it I become more and more annoyed. I know the common wisdom is to not use Time Machine to back up DB files. Given that all I needed to do was grab a script from a backup I now find myself wishing I had enabled TM to back up the files. At least it actually does a backup very hour. FMS apparently does not do this reliably. FMS 14.

• 2. Re: Server Hourly backups
            eoin

I do hourly backups using the scheduler in FMS14 between 7am-6pm and configured it so as I receive a email once the hourly schedule has completed. Every time I've needed to take a copy off site I've gone to the backup folder and taken the necessary file. You say it's configured correctly, create another Hourly Schedule and check its function is about all I can suggest to you.

• 3. Re: Server Hourly backups
              RickWhitelaw

It turns out FMS had changed my backup destinations! I backup to an attached huge drive. FMS changed it to the backup folder inside the Library/FileMaker Server on the main drive. At least I still have all the backups. Strange though. It may have been when I upgraded to version 14.