7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 4:38 AM by MikeyG79

Server Installation

JSP

Title

Server Installation

Your post

I've been using FM for years and know my way around it pretty well. I now have a need to install Server, and get it to work. I've installed Server 9.0.3 on a MacPro running 10.5.5, after following the directions. However, when I try to launch the Admin Console, nothing happens. Safari launches, I get a page stating that the console is starting, but nothing beyond that. If I click the "Click here if the Admin Console did not launch automatically.", it downloads admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp, which I double click, only to have that do nothing as well. I can get into http://localhost/manual, and also see that httpd is running. I’m sure that I’ve overlooked something, and would appreciate any guidance or feedback that anyone is willing to give.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Server Installation
          davidhead

Did you apply the 9.0.3.326 updater/patch?

See the Downloads site: http://www.filemaker.com/support/downloads/ 

• 2. Re: Server Installation
            JSP
               No, I haven't installed that patch. I just tried to, but wasn't successful because the FM Server is running. How can I stop the Server, so that I can do the installation, if I can't get into the Console?
            • 3. Re: Server Installation
              davidhead

Try the OS X Server terminal commands for FileMaker Server 9:

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms // stops the FileMaker Server daemon

fmsadmin STOP  // stops the database server

• 4. Re: Server Installation
                JSP
                   Unfortunately, after stopping the Server deamon (database isn't running), updating and trying it again, I get the same thing. The console says it's starting, but nothing happens. It stays at the same window.
                • 5. Re: Server Installation
                  rmanook

Hi JSP,

What version of Java are you running?  If Java 6, try going to Utilities > Java > Java Preferences and setting Java 6 as the preference.  Also, click on the Security tab > View Cache Files and remove the Admin Console.  Next, go to Terminal and enter the following commands:

fmsadmin close (this will close all of your databases)

fmsadmin stop server

fmsadmin start server 

If this fails, try entering the following command:

sudo apachectl -t

Do you get any host name error messages? 

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Server Installation
                    osm

I confirm this bug.  I and my colleagues have also experienced this issue, where the Admin console does not appear after being summoned from the FMSA 'localhost:16000' start page after a fresh install of FMSA 9v3.325 (Windows).

• 7. Re: Server Installation
                      MikeyG79
                         I downgraded java to 1.5 and tomcat seemed to be happier running. It might have been as simple as setting a correct PATH environment variable to use 1.6 but I haven't experimented with it again.