2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2015 7:48 AM by schpa

Server performance OSX vs Windows

schpa

Title

Server performance OSX vs Windows

Your post

Hey!

So the last few months I've been working on a database solution with filemaker for our small company that we want to implement during the next few months. Now, however, we are not sure how exactly we want to run this solution.
      Our current thought is to buy a new, relatively powerful iMac, run the server on this computer and use the same Mac as the main workplace for orders and such.
      From this host the thought is that it should be accessible via an iPad in the delivery apartment, a cheap computer with access rights only to implement production examination etc. and a couple of other Windows computers in case we would want to have a look at what's going on in the database. Basically, at any one time we would most likely only have about 4-5 clients accessing the database from the FIleMaker server that's running on the iMac that will run 24/7, and that's it.

Do you think that this is a viable solution, or should we maybe have our own, seperate computer running the server, even though we only have so few clients accessing the database at any one time, and should this computer perhaps be running with a Windows server or what have you?

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this as a I haven't found any reliable guides for such small companies, the only recommendations that I've found searching the web have been based on bigger companies with hundreds of clients accessing the database at the same time, which obviously will not be the case for us.

As a sidenote, we are currently running our database with Microsoft Access with windows computers from a seperate Windows server and will have to, in case of switching to iMac, do the transition to a new OS.
      I don't think this will be a problem as most of the programs we use other than Access is supported in OSX.

Also, how well would the automatic back-up work with an OSX FIleMaker server in this solution?

Thanks in advance, if there's anything I forgot to add that could be relevant, please let me know and I will provide you with answers to the best of my knowledge :)

- Simen

• 1. Re: Server performance OSX vs Windows
          maser

I can't compare running FMS on Windows vs OSX.   However, I currently run FMS 13 on our OS X 10.10 Server (a Mac Pro 3.3Ghz 6-core system) with fairly minimal access to the FMS databases from a variety of clients in different locations on the network but from probably 15-30 *file server* connections.  I can safely say that this system has no obvious speed issues whatsoever -- either with FM or with general SMB/AFP file serving.   However, I do not run FM *client* on this system like you seem to propose doing (unless I misread this?)

As for automatic backup, I just run the basic FMS backup scripts (and then backup the server with Retrospect in the middle of the night) and have had no problems doing that.

Not sure if that'll help or not, but that's my story here!

• 2. Re: Server performance OSX vs Windows
            schpa

We went ahead and bought a Mac Mini for the sole purpose of running the FileMaker server, working as a client on the same computer as the server was genereally a bad idea and we'll probably end up buying a seperate iMac for that purpose.

When it comes to back-up we're left with a couple of ideas but something like you suggested seems like a good solution and is likely in the direction we will go aswell.

Thanks for your input Maser :)