7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 1:30 PM by TSGal

Server Print to PDF

steelbut

Title

Server Print to PDF

Your post

I am using FMSA 9 on Windows server 2003 std and I am trying to figure out a way to have dealers print out, dynamic quotes when served with Instant Web Publishing IWP.  They look the best in PDF as we use on the desktops in the office. 

Is there a plug in that works, a newer version, a work around, maybe export, convert to a url...  Hopefully someone out there can help!

Thanks, Larry

• 1. Re: Server Print to PDF
          TSGal

steelbut:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro has licensed with Adobe to export records to PDF.  However, this is not available through Instant Web Publishing because you are using a browser to access the FileMaker data.  If you have a PDF printer driver, then you can print from the browser and select the PDF printer driver.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Server Print to PDF
            steelbut

Can you please explain futher?  How this would work and where would I make the call for it and how whould it work?  I am happy to buy what is needed.

Thank you much for your reply!!!

Larry

• 3. Re: Server Print to PDF
              TSGal

steelbut:

Doing a quick internet search for "PDF writer", I see many available for free.  The first one listed using my internet browser is CutePDF.  I have not used it personally, but it is free and it works with several flavors of Windows.  My advice would be to look and compare.

Do any forum members have a PDF writer they like?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Server Print to PDF
                steelbut

Are you taking from the user side?  Is there something I can do from the server side?  Or another URL?  OR?

Larry

• 5. Re: Server Print to PDF
                  TSGal

steelbut:

There are no printing script steps with Instant Web Publishing or Server based scripts.  Again, with Instant Web Publishing, you are not using FileMaker Pro.  You are using a browser to access the data in FileMaker Pro.  When you print from the browser, you can then select the PDF driver.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Server Print to PDF
                    steelbut

Would it be possible to pass variables from Filemaker's IWP to FMStudio and we build that page in PHP with their PDF module?  If so what would be the session variables we could pass to look up what is needed?

Thanks, Larry

• 7. Re: Server Print to PDF
                      TSGal

steelbut:

I don't have any information on FMStudio except what I read on their web site.  You will need to ask them about passing variables to their product.

Does anyone have any experience with FMStudio?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.